Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-12-2006, 05:25 PM   #1

Share |

Framing Opening Length

I am in the process of building a non load bearing wall to section off a play room in my basement. Using 2 X 4's with studs 16" on center.

I am planning on having an opening in the wall to serve as a storage shelf. The hdesired height of this opening will be approximately 2 feet. My questions is... how long can this span be in the opening of the wall if I create a header of (2) 2 X 4's secured to eachother side by side?

I utilized the same sort of construction for the header above a door in the room but that span was only about 38" or so. Ideally I would like to have this shelf opening to be approximately 4-6 feet in length but I was unsure on how far I can go with using the (2) 2 X 4's to construct a header over the opening.

Thanks in advance.
captainron19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 07:47 PM   #2
renovations

Framing Opening Length

It's a non-supporting wall, make the opening as long as you like. Just make sure you continue your 16" o/c above and below.
Bonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 04:48 PM   #3

Framing Opening Length

I believe that you have to go with a structural header and double jack studs if the opening is going to be more then 4 ft. For an opening of 6 ft I would use 2 - 2x6 or 8 's with 1/2 ply in the middle, standing on end.
Im not 100% on this but I believe that is code here in Md .
Akeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 10:50 AM   #4

Framing Opening Length

I assume the code in MD is the IRC. That code only has one paragraph on non-load bearing interior walls and it doesn't say much. You can open the wall up as much as you want as long as the framing will support the drywall and the shelf without sagging. It's not really a building code issue. Be careful not to cut any electrical wiring.
mighty anvil is offline   Reply With Quote