Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-11-2007, 02:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Framing new wall in basement

Hi everyone
1) I am finishing my basement and have to build a wall which runs parallel to the floor joists (centered between two floor joists). The problem is that there is a "thermo-pan" air return which resides between the joists where my wall will go. (see picture). I need something to nail the top of my wall to. Should I strap the ceiling with 2x4 16" o/c perpendicular to the joists? i was also thinking strapping with 1x3 but i think i need something more substantial to nail to.

2) I have attached a picture of my roughed in bathroom. Im wondering what the wood square embedded in the concrete holds. This is where my bath tub will be. Is there a drain under there?
Attached Thumbnails
Framing new wall in basement-thermopan.jpg   Framing new wall in basement-future-bathroom.jpg  

civil_corruption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 06:07 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by civil_corruption View Post
Hi everyone
1) I am finishing my basement and have to build a wall which runs parallel to the floor joists (centered between two floor joists). The problem is that there is a "thermo-pan" air return which resides between the joists where my wall will go. (see picture). I need something to nail the top of my wall to. Should I strap the ceiling with 2x4 16" o/c perpendicular to the joists? i was also thinking strapping with 1x3 but i think i need something more substantial to nail to.
The strapping is fine to nail your walls to. This is what we nail walls to in new construction and in remodeling. You don't need to use 2x4's for this. The only time we use 2x3's for strapping is when we have pipes or electrical that is attached to the joists, that the finished ceiling needs to be lower than...

Quote:
Originally Posted by civil_corruption View Post
2) I have attached a picture of my roughed in bathroom. Im wondering what the wood square embedded in the concrete holds. This is where my bath tub will be. Is there a drain under there?
If you know that there was rough plumbing previously installed down there (like a drain)...then, I would bet alot of money that there is a drain under there. The block of would could have been used to keep the concrete out of that hole when it was poured for the floor.

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 08:23 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Couldn't you remove the pan, put up blocking between the joist, re-install the pan and fasten your wall to the blocking. I'll admit it'd be a pain, but that way your not dealing with strapping when you get to the drywall stage.

The box in the floor, given that there's a 3" PVC near by, I'd bet that it's a boxed opening for a p-trap for a shower.

Good luck...

Rip
RippySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote