Framing A Mirror - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-09-2010, 11:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Framing a Mirror

Any help would be appreciated.

I have built a mirror / coat rack combo. I have had a beveled mirror made and I am looking for ideas on how to mount the mirror in the oak frame. The frame has a 1/4 inch rabbitt and I have turn buttons. I just don't know the best way to finish off the back to preserve the mirror backing as well as the esthetics of the finished project.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Advertisement

woodhobbiest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:40 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 558

Framing a Mirror

Well one thing comes to mind is get a peace of veneer ¼’’ plywood to cut to the same shape as your back to hold the mirror in place and either screw the back on with brass screws or use your turn buttons to hold the mirror and backing in place.

Advertisement

epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:55 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Framing a Mirror

Using 1\4 inch birch plywood should do a very nice job. Only one caution. Usually you can find such lumber cut to smaller sizes at the "STORE" and if not - some lumber yards have scraps of such around as remnants from millwork they're doing. In either case, try for the flattest piece you can find. I assume you have good sharp tools for cutting it down. Before you place it on the back of the mirror, use several layers of non color newspaper or soft brown paper against the silvering of the mirror. If you have any, that thin foam which covered the screen of your flat screen could be applied next. Then, applying the birch, cut 1/32 inch short of the true I D and turning the thumb screws. If any of the birch is sticking out - usually at a corner - predrill with a .0135" or so hand held push driver a pilot hole for a steel brad to keep the corner in question held fast. Sounds like you've done enough on this that i needn't go any further.