DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Framing Garage walls and removing door

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Gary in WA 
#1 ·
I want to frame my exterior garage walls and add drywall. Currently the walls are poured 8" thick concrete, not cinder blocks with some type of insulation just nailed up to the walls. I want to frame it out and add R-13 insulation.

1. Should I use white wood or PT? if PT, use PT on the whole project or just the floor?
2. How do I connect the frame base to the concrete floor? nails, screws, etc.

I have a two car garage and only use it as a home gym. Never park inside it. I want to remove one of the garage doors and frame it out and a standard 36" exterior door and then finish it off with the matching vinly siding. No electrical or plumbing.

Do I need to go through the county and obtain permits for this? Live in Warren County, VA.

Thanks,

#3 ·
I live in va and you will first need to find someone if you can't do it yourself to make drawings of what you are planning to do. I have done for projects that size but you will need to cover all phases from floor thru roof . Here the building dept has a handout of what they need submitted, your project needs permits and someone who knows how to build correctly. They, the builder, may be willing to have you involved thru the process if you approach them as wanting to learn. I was always happy to share my knowledge on site to someone who wanted to learn not just take an extended smoke break while i worked

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.