Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-10-2009, 03:21 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Framing Garage walls and removing door

I want to frame my exterior garage walls and add drywall. Currently the walls are poured 8" thick concrete, not cinder blocks with some type of insulation just nailed up to the walls. I want to frame it out and add R-13 insulation.

1. Should I use white wood or PT? if PT, use PT on the whole project or just the floor?
2. How do I connect the frame base to the concrete floor? nails, screws, etc.

I have a two car garage and only use it as a home gym. Never park inside it. I want to remove one of the garage doors and frame it out and a standard 36" exterior door and then finish it off with the matching vinly siding. No electrical or plumbing.

Do I need to go through the county and obtain permits for this? Live in Warren County, VA.

Thanks,

Ziggy CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:15 AM   #2

Contact your local building Dept for what they will require you to do
Once you start changing a garage codes come into play & local building Dept will need to be consulted

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:38 AM   #3

I live in va and you will first need to find someone if you can't do it yourself to make drawings of what you are planning to do. I have done for projects that size but you will need to cover all phases from floor thru roof . Here the building dept has a handout of what they need submitted, your project needs permits and someone who knows how to build correctly. They, the builder, may be willing to have you involved thru the process if you approach them as wanting to learn. I was always happy to share my knowledge on site to someone who wanted to learn not just take an extended smoke break while i worked
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:59 PM   #4

What if I just frame and drywall the side walls to cover the insulation and make it look better, any permits for that?

The back wall is drywalled and the front wall for the garage doors is, but the side walls are hte concrete walls.

Thanks, Chris
Ziggy CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:08 PM   #5

It is really a local thing: http://www.warrencountyva.net/building_inspections.asp
Be safe, Gary