Framing A Garage Ceiling - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-20-2009, 08:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Framing a garage ceiling

I had an addition put over top of my attached garage of my 2 storey house. The garage ceiling/addition floor in 2x8 with osb floors. I live in sothern Ontario Canada so I need to insulate the floor/ceiling at a minimum of R22 but I want more - close to R40 if possible. With new duct work and drain pipes I need to frame in below the 2x8s amd add more insulation. Then I need to vapor barrier and drywall (code) There is a 8 18 I beam at the front and middle of the garage ceiling. I wanted to run 2x4 framing between the 2 I beams and the middle I beam to the back house wall. That is the proper way to do this? Is there a span limit for a 2x4? should I use 2x6?? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advanced!

Advertisement

Last edited by bobber; 11-20-2009 at 08:49 PM.
bobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:01 PM   #2
Kekeever

Rewards Points: 10

Framing a garage ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobber View Post
I had an addition put over top of my attached garage of my 2 storey house. The garage ceiling/addition floor in 2x8 with osb floors. I live in sothern Ontario Canada so I need to insulate the floor/ceiling at a minimum of R22 but I want more - close to R40 if possible. With new duct work and drain pipes I need to frame in below the 2x8s amd add more insulation. Then I need to vapor barrier and drywall (code) There is a 8 18 I beam at the front and middle of the garage ceiling. I wanted to run 2x4 framing between the 2 I beams and the middle I beam to the back house wall. That is the proper way to do this? Is there a span limit for a 2x4? should I use 2x6?? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advanced!
You can run 2x4 s any distance as long as you tie them into the floor framing every 4 ft or so to keep them from sagging. If you use 2x6 you would need to tie them to the floor above less frequently. You could also use spray foam insulation that will get you around 7 Rs per inch depending on the manufacturer and product used. Its a little more costly but your 2x8 joists would be sufficient for an R49 +/-. The spray foam insulation products are not universally accepted by municipal building officials so it will take some research to see what they will accept where you live.

Advertisement

Kyle Keever is offline   Reply With Quote