Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-29-2014, 02:33 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Framing - Floor to ceiling sunken living room

I have a 70's era living room that I want to remove the faux wood paneling that only goes as far as the higher foundation, and replace it with drywall all the way to the floor of the sunken living room.

I'm also removing the ceiling so I have clearer attic access, but the question I really have is how do I go about extending the frame to the lower living room.

Original thought: Get 3/4" plywood, making furing strips going horizontal, build a new frame out of 2x3, raise it and screw into the furings and anchor the frame to the concrete, get electrical completed, and put 5/8s drywall installed and taped and complete this all up with some good semi-gloss paint.

Is my original thought the best way to go about this? The insulation is getting replaced with foam board and Stuff-It foam to improve my R rating, along with plastic bags to fill that soffit area with some Stuff-It to air seal it up, electrical can run between the furing strips, that removes any need to drill into the 2x3.

I attached some photos of the wall I exposed, and why I believed the furing strips are needed (the concrete extends up to about 1/2 from the current 2x4s, and how the ceiling and corner walls attach.

I have a Tablesaw, hand saw, and I can easily go to Lowes and get more lumber if the 2x3 is not wise, or if I'm doing this wrong at all. Someone even suggested getting 2x6 and sister them and notch the bottoms so that they reach the floor.
Attached Thumbnails
Framing - Floor to ceiling sunken living room-2014-06-29-00.09.54.jpg   Framing - Floor to ceiling sunken living room-2014-06-29-00.09.49.jpg   Framing - Floor to ceiling sunken living room-2014-06-29-00.09.19.jpg   Framing - Floor to ceiling sunken living room-2014-06-29-00.09.07.jpg  

Tonisius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:01 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,368

If 3/4" furring will get you past the concrete--then fur it out--

I would be inclined to nail the furring to the face of the existing studs----leave gaps for your wiring if you want to avoid drilling---

I think it will be stronger that way.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:55 AM   #3
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,028

from the pic it looks like more than 1/2" projecting out on the concrete. rip a 2x4 in half (1 3/4") and use that for the firring. just screw them over the existing studs with 2 1/2" screws or 3" screws keeping the 1 1/2" stud width the same so your electrical boxes nail to the side afterwards. notch around concrete at bottom with strips or fir out concrete to match with treated material. you do not want raw untreated wood touching that concrete. looks like about ten strips needed...
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 12:46 PM   #4

Great tips guys.
OurBuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:26 PM   #5

So, could I fur out horizontally, or is vertical what you guys are saying I should do?

I was going to go across with strips of 3/4 plywood, and then just frame out a 24oc 2x3 wall and attach that to the furring strips by toenailing some nails or screw it in from the face with some deck screws. I'm headed out to lowes to get treated wood, since I forgot about that concrete rule.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:43 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonisius View Post
So, could I fur out horizontally, or is vertical what you guys are saying I should do?

I was going to go across with strips of 3/4 plywood, and then just frame out a 24oc 2x3 wall and attach that to the furring strips by toenailing some nails or screw it in from the face with some deck screws. I'm headed out to lowes to get treated wood, since I forgot about that concrete rule.

They mean vertical.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canarywood1 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (06-29-2014)
Old 06-29-2014, 08:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
They mean vertical.
Oh drats, I did them horizontally with deck screws... I even did the ripping of the 2x4s already. I'm sure I can reuse them.

Pictures coming. 😕
Old 06-30-2014, 07:07 AM   #8
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,028

sorry I did not mention vertical in my post. you want to fir the top plate first and butt the verticals up to that and possibly fir the bottom plate also and then fir out the concrete below that, or if the fir strip sticks out enough just notch around concrete and take fir strip to floor. if you take them to the floor I would still add a row across the bottom plate between the strips to keep fire/air drafts at a minimum.

Last edited by hand drive; 06-30-2014 at 07:17 AM.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:21 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 328

The ripped 2x4s are not waste. You can extend the wall however you want, vertical or horizontal, you just need about 16" o.c. for 1/2" sheet. Ripped pieces may not be straight and you have to correct later.

I'd want to have 2x anchored to floor then notched 2x3 or 4 for a new wall, if lost inch or two is not a problem. 2x4 would give you more rigid wall and more wood for trim nails after notching. But any width will work because new wall can be anchored to the old, just more work overall. 2x on floor is for bottom of sheetrock and base molding.

I'd avoid mdf trims (those made with wood dust) near concrete floor, although those are more uniform from one piece to next.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:28 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 83

if you have the chance, i'd be interested in seeing pics of what the completed setup.

hboogz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
framing plan, service wall