Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2013, 09:57 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Saint Charles County, Missouri
Posts: 31
Share |
Default

Framing and finishing my basement: a best guess question


Hello Everyone,

My question has a lot of "what if" potential. Why? Because there are so many variables that it may be hard to answer. I am simply looking for a best guess and hoping to receive an approximate timeframe. First the question, then some details.

How long should it take me to finish framing my basement?

I will be working with two other individuals 8 - 10 hours a day. One is a novice like me while the other is a master carpenter. I am purchasing all the tools necessary to expedite the job including a powder actuated .27 caliber concrete nail gun, framing nail gun, power saws, etc. I have 234 feet of wall being framed with a ceiling height of 8' (See attached floor plan). In the area on both sides of the home theater, there is a significant amount of soffit that will need to be installed with some additional soffit work needed toward the middle of the plan by the billiards area. In addition, I will have to frame for four hinged doors and two pocket doors. All other areas are standard framing.

Again, I realize this is a difficult question to answer. That is why I am hoping for responses from a subject matter expert or two. If you have additional questions regarding the details of my project, please feel free to ask and I will answer as best as I can.

Thanks!!
~HT4ME
Attached Thumbnails
Framing and finishing my basement: a best guess question-basement-no-color.jpg  

HT4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:23 AM   #2
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 3
Default

Framing and finishing my basement: a best guess question


that is impossible to answer. to many factors. I but I will try. I would think I could frame all that in two days with another guy. I really don't know your system in framing and most likely don't have one because you don't frame for a living. I would say it going to take you about 60 to 80 hours to do it. that is if you don't mess up. I don't want to cocky but you are asking a strange question. Its going to take so much longer because you going to do things most likely the longer way. guys that have a ton of experience have made all the makes and trouble shot most situations. not saying u can not figure out things fast but guys with experience already know how to do things fast and right. ahh hope this helps you some how?

roofguy1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:48 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,635
Default

Framing and finishing my basement: a best guess question


Do you need to factor in inspections? Perhaps not for just the framing. Have you pulled a permit?

Have the right size windows you will need for alternate emergency egress?

Planning on plumbing rough in before you box in small rooms?

You say soffit for the one room but do you mean a drop or tray ceiling? Do you have the height required for either?

Your plan looks intriguing and it should be a nice addition. You are committing a lot of sf to a dedicated, appraisable/taxable home theater room though? You sure?

Last edited by user1007; 05-05-2013 at 05:56 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:22 AM   #4
DIY staff
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 21,259
Default

Framing and finishing my basement: a best guess question


Crew of three? One pro and two warm bodies?

Two days framing, one day soffits and blocking

Two days electrical --
1/2 day insulating

3 days 0r 4 drywall

one day or two trim (depends on the stair treatment.)Might take longer as this is high skill work

2 days paint.---longer ? depends on doors and trim

1 day final electrical trim and door knobs,hand rails and such.

Floor treatment?
Stairs?
Demo prior to start?
Stocking the materials?
Drywall ceilings or drop?
__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:39 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Saint Charles County, Missouri
Posts: 31
Default

Framing and finishing my basement: a best guess question


Quote:
Originally Posted by roofguy1000 View Post
that is impossible to answer. to many factors. I but I will try. I would think I could frame all that in two days with another guy. I really don't know your system in framing and most likely don't have one because you don't frame for a living. I would say it going to take you about 60 to 80 hours to do it. that is if you don't mess up. I don't want to cocky but you are asking a strange question. Its going to take so much longer because you going to do things most likely the longer way. guys that have a ton of experience have made all the makes and trouble shot most situations. not saying u can not figure out things fast but guys with experience already know how to do things fast and right. ahh hope this helps you some how?
Thanks roofguy1000. I asked the question while putting a construction timeline together. You are absolutely right regarding the fact that I am "green". Hopefully that will be offset by the master carpenter (and friend) who will be there to guide the building process. Thanks for your response!
HT4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:47 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Saint Charles County, Missouri
Posts: 31
Default

Framing and finishing my basement: a best guess question


Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Do you need to factor in inspections? Perhaps not for just the framing. Have you pulled a permit?

Have the right size windows you will need for alternate emergency egress?

Planning on plumbing rough in before you box in small rooms?

You say soffit for the one room but do you mean a drop or tray ceiling? Do you have the height required for either?

Your plan looks intriguing and it should be a nice addition. You are committing a lot of sf to a dedicated, appraisable/taxable home theater room though? You sure?
Hello sdsester:

I have pulled the permit and have three inspections to address: one before construction, one after framing and rough plumbing, rough electrical, rough HVAC, and one at the completion of the project. All the windows are egress windows. I made sure they did that when I had the house built. I do planning on rough plumbing before boxing in small areas. This includes the small full bath and the back bar sink. I am using drywall on the ceilings with access panels for shut offs and electrical. A drop ceiling will not work in my application. Finally, I am sure positive regarding building the HT and, really, the plan overall. My wife and I, along with one daughter, will be staying in this house for at least 15 more years. We love where we live!

Thanks,

HT4ME
HT4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:51 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Saint Charles County, Missouri
Posts: 31
Default

Framing and finishing my basement: a best guess question


Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Crew of three? One pro and two warm bodies?

Two days framing, one day soffits and blocking

Two days electrical --
1/2 day insulating

3 days 0r 4 drywall

one day or two trim (depends on the stair treatment.)Might take longer as this is high skill work

2 days paint.---longer ? depends on doors and trim

1 day final electrical trim and door knobs,hand rails and such.

Floor treatment?
Stairs?
Demo prior to start?
Stocking the materials?
Drywall ceilings or drop?
Hello oh' mike,

Floor treatment: carpet with thick rubber padding (acoustical)
Stairs: Carpeting
Demo prior to start: not sure what that means
Stocking the materials: I have worked out a delivery process with Home Depot where materials, except for power tools, will be made according to my schedule.
Drywall ceilings or drop: Drywall

Thanks!

~HT4ME
HT4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:26 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 43
Default

Framing and finishing my basement: a best guess question


your question is hard to answer, I would frame that in metal, and I would do it in about a day maybe a day and a half. You not being an experienced framer and framing in wood (takes longer) I would say about a week. even if i was framing out of wood two days tops

ubcguy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ubcguy89 For This Useful Post:
HT4Me (05-05-2013)
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question on basement ceiling framing GravelGuy Carpentry 9 02-14-2013 05:25 PM
Basement finishing Insulation question. mopar44o Building & Construction 12 01-04-2013 03:30 PM
Finishing Basement - Framing with 2x2's mark2741 Building & Construction 13 12-25-2011 07:20 PM
question about finishing basement walls / framing indianboy08 Carpentry 3 12-05-2011 05:23 AM
Question on Finishing basement Supplicate Remodeling 3 02-07-2011 08:37 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.