DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Framing a Door

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  joecaption 
#1 ·
Basic question but I need help. I am currently enclosing an open pole barn. I am unclear as to how to prepare for a door. Watched lots of you tube videos etc. These videos refer to framing an "exterior' or "interior " door. Why the distinction?

As I understand it I must add an inch of space on either side . Is this inch added to the actual door width or the width of the entire prehung unit?

Concrete slab so I do not have a sill plate where door will be, correct? After door is in place some type of threshold or saddle?

Lastly, should I put up siding around the door framing, install door and than trim or do i install door and than install siding ?

Thanks

#2 ·
The specific framing required depends on the type of door, which you did not discuss. There are single doors, double doors, French doors, sliding doors, coil doors etc. Typically the manufacturer of the door will include explicit framing instructions with the door, and if you follow the instruction carefully, you should get good results.

The distinction between and interior and exterior door has to do with weatherstripping, flashing and the threshold (you need to carefully weatherstrip and flash an exterior door, but not an interior door). There may also be load bearing issue with either an exterior or interior door, which may require you to install a header. For example, when I installed my exterior French doors, I needed a header above the doors to carry load down to the sill beam.

I have never worked on a pole barn, so I can't comment on fthe specifics of framing a door for such a structure, but the basic principles remain the same no matter the type of building.

#3 ·
If it's an exterior door the threshold will be built into the door.
That outside walls bottom plate needs to be set at the edge of the slab so the threshold will hang out over it so water does not come in under the wall.
There's suppose to be house wrap over the sheathing before the door goes in. Cut an X in the house wrap where the door opening is and fold the house wrap into the door opening. Staple it and cut off the access.
I'd buy a door with flat jambs and install my own vinyl brick moulding. The brick molding is the first thing to rot out.
Rough openings are 2" wider then the door size because the jambs are 1-1/2" thick.
There also needs to be about 1" space at the top.
The gaps can be filled with low expanding foam once the door is installed and shimmed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.