Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2011, 01:20 PM   #16
Framing Contractor
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Caldwell, NJ
Posts: 1,758
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Framing in bi-fold doors


Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur1 View Post
I think I'll have to go a different route here. Thanks guys
i don't understand what the problem is. Your question has been answered. You have 4' door and a wider opening. Frame in the opening and sheetrock it and be done with it. If you were to use prehung doors you would make the opening 2" wider. 50" would be the rough opening. If you don't use prehung doors you make the rough opening 49" and then sheetrock that and have a 48" finished opening.

What is the problem?

__________________
Joe Carola
Joe Carola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:23 PM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,038
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Framing in bi-fold doors


Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carola View Post
i don't understand what the problem is. Your question has been answered. You have 4' door and a wider opening. Frame in the opening and sheetrock it and be done with it. If you were to use prehung doors you would make the opening 2" wider. 50" would be the rough opening. If you don't use prehung doors you make the rough opening 49" and then sheetrock that and have a 48" finished opening.

What is the problem?
w/out being rude Joe I have no idea what your talking about. I am far from a handyman as you can see. So I should use 2x4 to frame it then sheetrock it from I understood.
dinosaur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:34 PM   #18
Framing Contractor
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Caldwell, NJ
Posts: 1,758
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Framing in bi-fold doors


Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur1 View Post
w/out being rude Joe I have no idea what your talking about. I am far from a handyman as you can see. So I should use 2x4 to frame it then sheetrock it from I understood.
You have a 48" wide door right? Are you planning on putting that door in between a sheetrock opening?
__________________
Joe Carola
Joe Carola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:36 PM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,519
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Framing in bi-fold doors


Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur1 View Post
just an opening
Joe told you how it's done. I don't know what route you're about to travel on other than this.
Is this an issue with tools or framing knowledge?
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:18 PM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,038
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Framing in bi-fold doors


Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carola View Post
You have a 48" wide door right? Are you planning on putting that door in between a sheetrock opening?
it's a finished basement that the previous owner didnt have time to put a door on. The doorway is 57" wide.
dinosaur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:19 PM   #21
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,038
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Framing in bi-fold doors


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Joe told you how it's done. I don't know what route you're about to travel on other than this.
Is this an issue with tools or framing knowledge?
Ron
framing, just gotta figure what to put in between the gaps.
dinosaur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:30 PM   #22
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,519
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Framing in bi-fold doors


Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur1 View Post
framing, just gotta figure what to put in between the gaps.
Go to You Tube and search, "framing a partition wall"? Look at a few videos and see if the process becomes clear. Then look for ,"sheetrocking a wall".
This is the easy stuff. It gets a little complicated figuring out the spacing for the opening when you're putting in a door. The door manufacturer will tell you what finished opening you need to install the doors properly(in the instructions)
After you've processed a few videos, you'll be better set to ask the detailed questions.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:31 PM   #23
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,038
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Framing in bi-fold doors


what if I use accordian doors instead?

http://www.homedepot.com/Doors-Windo...ordion%20Doors
dinosaur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:00 PM   #24
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Near Philly
Posts: 2,041
Rewards Points: 1,002
Default

Framing in bi-fold doors


Nail a sheet across the opening.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:01 PM   #25
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,038
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Framing in bi-fold doors


Quote:
Originally Posted by bob22 View Post
Nail a sheet across the opening.
wow you thought of that all by yourself?
dinosaur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:03 PM   #26
Experienced
 
Jackofall1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Michigan
Posts: 2,822
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Framing in bi-fold doors


But what if he wants to nail 2 sheets, but then again 3 sheets would be better wouldn't it.

Add some wind and you could have 3 sheets to the wind.......

Mark
__________________
When its all said and done there is usually more said than done
Jackofall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:02 PM   #27
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,038
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Framing in bi-fold doors


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackofall1
But what if he wants to nail 2 sheets, but then again 3 sheets would be better wouldn't it.

Add some wind and you could have 3 sheets to the wind.......

Mark
Lol. Love it!
dinosaur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:24 PM   #28
Framing Contractor
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Caldwell, NJ
Posts: 1,758
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Framing in bi-fold doors


Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur1 View Post
framing, just gotta figure what to put in between the gaps.
You put 2x4's in between the gaps. Can you explain what the problem is?
__________________
Joe Carola
Joe Carola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:33 PM   #29
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,038
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Framing in bi-fold doors


Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carola

You put 2x4's in between the gaps. Can you explain what the problem is?
Problem is left gap is 7 inches. Right one is 5 inches.
What about an accordian door instead?
dinosaur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:54 PM   #30
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,519
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Framing in bi-fold doors


Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur1 View Post
Problem is left gap is 7 inches. Right one is 5 inches.
What about an accordian door instead?
At some point in this project, you're going to have to decide to put some effort into it. This DIY stuff has a learning curve. If you're not willing to put the time into learning how to do it, as bob said, "put up a sheet."
And so far, he's put more effort into this then you.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bi fold doors ron08 Carpentry 3 10-09-2010 09:16 AM
trim for hiding track on bi fold doors ron0805 Carpentry 11 02-15-2010 09:59 AM
Framing for two doors at a 90 degree get2bill Carpentry 1 03-30-2009 07:41 AM
Whats the difference between framing interior and exterior doors? Alan Building & Construction 5 06-14-2008 03:34 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.