Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-07-2007, 11:38 AM   #1

Share |
Framed Mirror

Does anyone have any experience in framing a mirror?

I want a substantial width frame that will be sturdy enough to hang over the bathroom vanity, and so I don't think I want to glue the mirror to the wall, and then construct a frame around it.

Any pearls of wisdom are appreciated.

shapeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:55 PM   #2
Handyguy

Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

Framed Mirror

How big?

You don't need to glue a large mirror to the wall. I have some that are installed on little clips. The bottom clips are like shelves the mirror sits on. Top ones just keep it from falling over. you could do that then build a frame around it. If you are a woodworker you could build a frame, like a picture frame, and install your mirror into it. Or, you could go to a frame shop and have them do it.

Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 03:54 PM   #3

Framed Mirror

Thanks, Brik. The mirror will be 36" wide X 30" high. I would like to either purchase a ready-made frame, or try to construct a frame and mount the mirror to it.

On some of the DIY-type TV shows, I've seen them mount the mirror to a piece of thinner wood that is then mounted onto the frame and hung. Obviously, not all the details are disclosed and that is clearly what I need to know.

[It was suggested to me that I glue the mirror to the wall, but I've decided that is not an option.]
Old 02-07-2007, 09:26 PM   #4

Framed Mirror

Choose a backdrop for the mirror i.e. a nice piece of finished birch plywood or whatever. Then you could glue the mirror to the wood and mount the wood to the wall using a couple of 50 lb anchors or mirror hangers that you can buy at any home improvement store.
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 04:39 PM   #5

Smile

Framed Mirror

Thanks, Cib for the info.

I totally lucked out and found a frame, exactly the right size, on close-out that blends beautifully with the cabinetry and wall treatment. I'm thinking that I will glue the mirror to a piece of thin wood and then mount it in the frame. I will use the heavy-duty anchors.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:25 PM   #6

Framed Mirror

Be sure to use glue designed for mirror mounting.
Many adhesives will eat away at the reflective finish
on the back of the mirror, causing dark spots to
appear in the mirror face.
jbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 09:42 PM   #7

Framed Mirror

Is that adhesive something I can pick up at Lowes or HD or do I have to go to a specialty store?
Old 02-09-2007, 12:23 PM   #8

Framed Mirror

You can find that about anywhere. HD or Lowes will have it. It will probably be with all their caulks and adhesives. It should indicate on the tube if it is used for mirrors. Should be about $3.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:31 PM   #9

Framed Mirror

FIY....go with the EZ Anchor brand. I've used other anchors and they are worthless. Or whatever brand is a little more pricey. It will pay off.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:55 PM   #10

Cool

Framed Mirror

Thanks all for the help.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:43 PM   #11
remodeling pro

Framed Mirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by cibula11 View Post
FIY....go with the EZ Anchor brand. I've used other anchors and they are worthless. Or whatever brand is a little more pricey. It will pay off.
Best bet is to hang from screws into the studs. How thick is the mirror, a piece of 3/16 or 1/4" mirror that big is pretty heavy.

True story>>> a friend of mine had a repair job several years ago caused when a heavy mirror the HO had hung into just the sheetrock fell and broke the pedestal sink below it. It was an upstairs bath room, the owners were out of town for the weekend, and the damage was more than 20 thousand dollars.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 04:46 PM   #12

Cool

Framed Mirror

Unfortunately our house was not the best constructed in the world and I have found the studs in that particular room are not the same distance apart consistently. However, I think I can anchor into a stud at the middle of the frame, but will have to rely on drywall anchors on each side.

I found some 3/32" clear plastic that seemed to the be the lightest weight thing that I could use for a backing, and the frame is very light weight as well. The total weight of frame, backing, and mirror I estimate around 30 pounds.

I thank all for the advice. Wish me luck.

Old 02-13-2007, 03:43 PM   #13

Framed Mirror

Good luck - let us know how the project went.
tim.root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 10:00 AM   #14

Framed Mirror

Is it done?Try wood or resin,anyway If you protect the wood it will do just fine. Resin frames have come a long way and sometimes it is hard to tell them apart for a bit of a distance. But. wood is still wood and resin will always be and feel like plastic. Go with good wood framed mirrors, seal the wood well before staining it and than protect it with clear finish

Last edited by luckytiff02; 04-05-2008 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Removed link to website, get permission for admin on this site.
luckytiff02 is offline   Reply With Quote