Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2008, 09:00 AM   #1

Share |

Formica sheet install

Hi guys, I am trying to do a little nook area with a formica top. I already built the top out of MDF, and did the build up for the front (1 1/2). My question is, I would like to do the front round, in other words roll down the formica and give like a round edge. I hope I am making sense, can it be done, and will the edge stay down with the adhesive? Thanks so much,

Last edited by helpless handyman; 01-03-2008 at 09:50 AM.
helpless handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:35 AM   #2
Custom Cabinet Maker

Formica sheet install

In simple terms; NO to do anything like that you require the ability to POST Form. Now if you friend will give you about 100K to buy this equipment sure you can LOL LOL.
For anything other than self-edge you will have to put something like wooden edge and router it. What you may be able to find on the web is a "bevel edge" type product. However this is applied without the formica on the edge.
You laminate the top,trim it flush and thne the FUN begins glueing the edging on and keeping it flush to the top :}:}:}

skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:16 AM   #3

Formica sheet install

Thanks so much skymaster, I will hopefully get it done this weekend, I just ordered the sheet, it will be here tomorrow,(special order). So going back to the orginal way. Edge goes on first then top. Do I have to align the front edge to the top edge, or do I cut a bigger piece and router it all around? Thanks
Old 01-03-2008, 01:13 PM   #4
Woodworker and Contractor

Formica sheet install

You can also put a peice of real wood around the edge, then put the top down and then round/ogee over the top into the wood. Picking a nice contrast or complemeting wood can look real sharp
Kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 07:48 PM   #5
Remodeler

Formica sheet install

Helpless,
Put the edging on over sized route the top and bottom then clean the top and apply the top piece and route it.
One Man Shops
MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:37 PM   #6

Formica sheet install

Thanks Kingfisher, not a bad idea but I have granite on the kitchen counters and I did a little nook for the kids to do there homework, color,etc. so I ordered the formica to match the granite. I got the etching one that looks close to granite, cost me $75.00 compare to $1,100.00 for the granite. The wood trim would throw everything off. MinConst, thanks so much, I will oversize, then away with the router. Don't want to mess this up, since the formica was a special order!
Old 01-03-2008, 08:43 PM   #7
Custom Cabinet Maker

Formica sheet install

Helpless; You DO realize that you can order the bevel edge type product in MATCHING Formica. a laminate supplier may even have some in stock
Old 01-03-2008, 09:09 PM   #8

Formica sheet install

Skymaster, that doesn't sound bad. I will check with them tomorrow when I pick up the sheet. What is it called, a bevel edge? Also, does it get glued on to the edge? Does it come as one long piece? I already build up the edge to 1 1/2 inches.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:15 PM   #9
Woodworker and Contractor

Formica sheet install

Have you looked for left overs at the granite stores. Many time you can get these very cheap because they already bought the whole slab to finish a job and only need a small back splash out of it. I have done many small bath counters 5'-7' for about $500 installed with under mount sink.
Kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:19 PM   #10
Custom Cabinet Maker

Formica sheet install

Helpless; 1 1/2" is normal thickness most bevel edge is about 1 3/4 so you can trim the BOTTOM to the size of your top. You glue it on with Tbond II or III, water resistant glue and use the stranded packing tape to hold it in place till glue sets.Takes a bunch of patience but looks great.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:53 AM   #11

Formica sheet install

Thanks Kingfisher, but I have entirely renovated my new to me house and I have done enough running around. It's been a one man operation, lol! The counter is 70 inch wide, and since I have only 12 inch wide cabinets one on each side, the granite would be to heavy for the 2 cabinets. I know I can put supports in the bottom, but it will take away from leg room. I got a pretty good match on the formica to the granite, it's even called the same name. Where I live, there is no such thing as cheap stuff. Even at the big chain stores, if one cuts a piece a board, they sell the let over pieces to the next guy, lol! Thanks again, I would of loved to do the granite, maybe later on but for now I am running out of money, the reno took it all. New roof, new windows, new doors, and gutter the entire house, just want to hurry and move in. I can always add it later on. Skymaster, I will look into that today when I pick up my sheet of laminate. Thanks! Again Thanks so much all you guys for giving so much great ideas, I have gotten so far will the help of this Great Forum.

Last edited by helpless handyman; 01-04-2008 at 07:57 AM.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:57 PM   #12

Formica sheet install

I guess the bevel edge is out of the question. They wanted $135 for a 12ft pcs, that's about double the amount I am paying for the sheet. They wouldn't sell me a 6ft pcs. I guess I'll save that money for the granite when I get there. Thanks guys
Old 01-04-2008, 08:04 PM   #13

Formica sheet install

Okay guys, I picked up the sheet today and I am ready for tomorrow. One question, I know it was mention that when routing the laminate work from left to right, otherwise the router will try to run off the work piece. Now when I am routing the front build up, and I get to the end sides, do I route from the bottom to the top? Thanks, don't want to mess this up, it's my first laminate project. Thanks
Old 01-05-2008, 06:48 PM   #14

Formica sheet install

Thanks to all you guys, SKYMASTER a special Thanks to you. I got it done today, and it look beautiful, thanks for the pm! I did the edge first then the top, it really hides that crevice between the two sheets. I even scribe the back, and I won't be needing any caulk on the back. Thank You!
Old 01-05-2008, 09:48 PM   #15
Custom Cabinet Maker

Formica sheet install

Your are welcome, Super ya got er done enjoy