Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-17-2005, 07:33 AM   #1
feb

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

formica

how do I take off the residue when I take the formica off of paneling. There is not that much but I have never taken this off before.

Thanks

feb

feb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 11:49 PM   #2
Contractor

formica

Formica on paneling? If applied properly, it should have torn off the paneling. Please elaborate on your project.

Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 07:07 AM   #3
feb

formica

My kitchen has paneling and the back splash is formica. It is the residue or contact cement I am trying to get off.
feb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 10:39 AM   #4
Contractor

formica

I use some commercial stuff that I won't even mention here. There are sealer/glue removers that should work fine, just look around in the box store.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:17 PM   #5
Contractor

formica

Lacquer thinner gets it off as well, but I didn't say that

Turn of ANY pilot lights and open the windows.

Ken Walker
KenTheHandyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 12:25 AM   #6
Contractor

formica

Ken, that's nearly as bad as the stuff that I use. Good thing to throw in the disclaimer, should have added 'no smoking' too. LOL
Old 09-03-2005, 12:03 AM   #7
renovations

formica

Should have added no breathing...
Bonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 12:33 PM   #8

formica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonus
Should have added no breathing...
Or where a hepa mask.
JustaFramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 12:54 AM   #9
renovations

formica

Hepa stops small particulates, not gases.
Old 09-04-2005, 01:21 PM   #10
Contractor

formica

Just so everybody knows, I did cabinet refacing for a couple of years (I felt guilty that the companies I worked for, whom I won't name, were charging $10k for what cost them about $1,300 for me, $1,300 for the salesman, $1,000 for the material, and who knows what else for advertising and profit) and I had never encountered a gas stove in all that time. I hadn't ever even thought about it after doing it for two years. Well, I cut my backsplash and laid it over the stove, just like I always did. I fit it and then proceeded to apply contact adhesive to the wall. (I never liked that water based stuff, it took WAY too long to dry) I then applied it to the laminate and then got about done and POOF! a ball of fire that made me think the whole kitchen blew up! (not really though, just flashed a bit). The ball was gone pretty quick and some flames lept up the cabinets for only a few seconds and it was gone. However, my brush caught fire, the gallon of cement caught fire, and my glove that had cement on it also caught fire. I shook my hand but couldn't get the fire out. I finally threw my hand hard enough to get the glove off and onto the floor. (Fortunately I always put cardboard down over the kitchen floor to prevent any damage from occuring) I then picked up the gallon that was still aflame and panicked. I put it in the sink and turned on the water. The flames started to rise! The water wouldn't put it out, but simply caused the level of liquid in the can (and the flame) to rise. I caught my senses and covered the gallon with the lid, extinquishing the fire. I then surveyed the damage. I had a toasted piece of laminate, but that was about it, as far as materials goes.

I looked at my hand. It was very red and blistered. I was about 1 1/2 hours from home. The home owner came in because she smelled something (I hadn't made so much as a peep from the first POW! I explained what had happened but still hadn't even thought of the stove. I thought some chemical reaction had occured. Then I saw the stove was gas. The pilot light had ignited the gas.

Well, I grabbed a bag of ice (bad idea, don't do it. I later learned in my EMT class not to put ice right on a severe burn, cool water is better.) I started the drive home and about 1/2 hour away my hand was in excruciating pain. It got more red, more blistered, a sign of 2nd degree burns. Long story short, I wrapped it up and thank God it healed OK, but I ALWAYS CHECK FLAMES ANYWHERE! At my church I refinished our pews (lots of chemicals, laquer, thinner, stain) and I made sure everyone knew we were working so that no one would turn the heater on. It CAN/DOES happen.

On another note, I've used chemical filters but since I have a beard they're kinda not much good, they don't seal. Smelling laquer/thinner/contact cement all day tends to make one grouchy or light headed...which was probably another factor that helped me decide not to do it for a living.

Ken Walker

Last edited by KenTheHandyMan; 09-09-2005 at 01:08 PM. Reason: I had put that the water would put the fire out, should have been 'wouldn't put the fire out'
KenTheHandyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 06:53 PM   #11
Remodeler

formica

Great story Ken,

We all need to be reminded of such things once in awhile. It is easy to have the mentality that "it won't happen to me". Things happen and when they happen to someone. That just might be me.

I've always heard that the more experienced you become with something the more likely you are to be less conscience of the dangers.
One Man Shops
MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 03:26 PM   #12
renovations

formica

Years ago I was rebuilding a bathroom and the client wanted laminate on the walls, ceiling and counters. It was a small room in the basement and it didn't occur to me to provide ventilation. Spread the contact cement and applied the laminate. It looked great when I was done and I went into the hallway and sat down for a minute to take a break and look at the job. The client came home two hours later and found me still sitting there, completely stoned with no idea of how long I'd been there. Had a splitting headache for a day or two and probably lost some brain cells I can ill afford to lose. Won't do that again!! Thank goodness there wasn't a gas water heater in there, I'm sure that problem wouldn't have occurred to me either and I might have lost ALL my brain cells. Watch it!!
Old 09-09-2005, 12:43 PM   #13

formica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonus
Hepa stops small particulates, not gases.
Your right. I don't know the exact filter but before you use any filter make sure you are using the right filter for the application.
JustaFramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 10:53 PM   #14
Contractor

formica

I can't tell you how many chemicals that I have sucked down over the years. Tolulene was one of Dad's favorite solvents. Later I found MEK and used it at random.

I'm 5yrs. late for my 50 yr. tuneup/observation. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:03 AM   #15
registered

Rewards Points: 4

formica

acetate. Where to get. Go to any printing company. Ask if you can buy a little. They buy it by the drums.

747 is offline   Reply With Quote