Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-14-2007, 11:22 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 256

fly rafters

when building lookouts and a fly rafter, is it recommended to use the same stock as the common rafters (e.g. 2x 10 or 2x 12) for the fly, or is it better (or worse) to use smaller lookouts and fly (say, 2x6) and then cover the fly with a 1x 10 or 1x 12 fascia board later to match the other rafters (size)?

just wondering if the smaller / lighter fly would be easier to handle while building the overhang, but still look ok once the fascia is attached

thanks
-randy

rtoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:50 PM   #2
Extreme DIY'r Adk's, NY

Rewards Points: 250

fly rafters

Depends on style of non gable overhand, whether there's returns, size of rafters, etc. Certainly no bigger than 2x6 is needed. The lookouts, being the same depth give you something to hook the soffit to. There's a couple methods to put this up. the "ladder" method, built on the ground, old drip edge removed if remodel and nail over siding if wood, etc. This does not tie in the sheathing unless of course you are replacing the sheathing so Im not a big fan. The old roofers method is to notch the end rafter with a circ saw and run the lookouts back to the previous rafter, screwing it through the sheathing and into the last rafter.

Anyway, sounds like you're doing this yourself and just worried about the weight. I've done up to 18' 2x6's or so myself on a 7/12 pitch by making an an deadman of sorts. Screw two scrap 2x6's together at 90's at the end grain. Bringing a third scrap 2x with you and a nice quick clamp, you can clamp this to a lookout flush with the bottom using the scrap as a spacer guide. Now slide your long 2x into this to hold one end while you line up the other and nail. Use a cordless circ saw and trim after in place if needed. I hope I explained this right. I pride myself in doing huge projects with little or no help. I like figuring out clever ways to do it safely and accurately... and when people look at it later they cant figure out how you possibly did it by yourself.

crecore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 08:37 AM   #3
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

fly rafters

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtoni View Post
when building lookouts and a fly rafter, is it recommended to use the same stock as the common rafters (e.g. 2x 10 or 2x 12) for the fly, or is it better (or worse) to use smaller lookouts and fly (say, 2x6) and then cover the fly with a 1x 10 or 1x 12 fascia board later to match the other rafters (size)?

just wondering if the smaller / lighter fly would be easier to handle while building the overhang, but still look ok once the fascia is attached

thanks
-randy
Randy,

The size of the fly rafter has nothing to do with the size of the main rafters. It all has to do with what your finishing it off with. If your using a finished wood or plastic product and lets say that you are using a 1x8, then your fly would be 2x6. That allows you to put whatever soffit your going to use on the bottom of the fly rafter and have a reveal to the bottom of the 1x8 rake board.

When using vinyl siding we always use a 2x6 fly rafter and then they nail the soffit to the bottom of that and then wrap it with coil.

I've framed house where the fly rafter was a 2x8 or 2x10 just like the main rafters. The easiest way is to extend the top plate and put and use a common rafter. and just nail it in like the rest of the rafters there and at the top where you extend the ridge.