DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

floor joist has been cut in too to install plumbing

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  gunslinger7966 
#1 ·
how do i repair/replace. should i run another board along side the damaged board ( I just bought the house this was on my inspection)

#8 ·
Floor Joist Cut

For this issue, I would just cut another floor joist of similar size and fasten directly to cut joist. I would do this for several reasons. One, if the room above has a tile floor, you will see the floor star to crack at the grout lines because of the deflection in the floor. Two, if the floor joist was cut at the top or bottom of the joist, not just a hole or cut in the middle 3rd of the joist, you better play it safe. I have seen many problems with cut joists. Make sure to re-set any bridging if there is any currently in the area of the cut. Some people and contrators will sometimes just screw in a steel gusset plate that locks in both sides and still allows the plumbing to be clear of any plumbing features. One last consideration is where the cut is made to the joist, if it is in the center of the span of the joist you will have a great deflection or "sagging" issue. Play it safe and prevent future problems above the joist. Good luck!

#10 ·
Since this issue was on your home inspection can you talk to your attorney about getting this fix through the seller of the home, or is that a forgone conclusion?

You can try sistering the floor joists so it looks like this, two boards that are similar to your floor joist, and have 3-4 feet on both side of the damaged section, then run carriage bolts through all three boards. :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.