DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Floating shelves from treads

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  joecaption 
#1 ·
Kwikfishron gave a great idea of floating shelves from stair trends. My question is asking for guidance on the implementation?

1. For two studs 16" apart apart, how much wider can the width of the shelf/trend extend beyond a lagged stud; that is, for example, can the shelve extend 10" beyond a stud and still be strong enough? (i.e. 36" shelf centered on two studs.)

2. What size lag screw - diameter and length. For example, 1/2" by 10" okay for a 12" trend?

3. Should a 10" lag screw be 3" into the stud and, therefore, 7" into the trend.

4. Being a novice, does it take a lot of experience to bore a long hole into a trend? (Is it possible with a hand drill?) The concern is making the bored hole perpendicular and straight without a drill press.

5. Finally, is such a support method strong enough for books?

Thanks for any advice.

#5 ·
In lieu of drill press

Yes, you are correct. I should have said treads.

In lieu of a drill press, however, can I use a router? I would make a channel on the lower half of the extension arm (rather than the bored hole) that would sit on the lag screw?

#6 ·
Popular for floating shelves

Not knowing anything about wood characteristics, would popular would be okay for floating shelves?

The wood would be 6/4, 10 inch depth, 36 inch wide with a lag screw for supporting a floating shelf.

It needs to be painted or otherwise I would use a more stylish wood.

My concern is will it split, warp, etc.

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.