Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-25-2011, 05:11 PM   #1

Share |

floating engineered floor perpendicular to stair nosing

Hi, I am installing a 3/4" thick click and lock type engineering floating floor in a living room. There is a set of stairs that goes down at one end of the room. The floating floor will be perpendicular to the stair nosing. The flooring manufacturing only sells a floor nosing that is set up to accept a floor parallel to it ( no overlap nosing is available. As I see it my options are to

1) try to undercut the stair nosing to function as an overlap nosing although I won't be able to duplicate the profile of the click and lock piece so the best I could create is a piece that would overlap but not click

2) nail the nosing in place and butt up the floating floor to it. This would not allow the floor to expand at this point, but as the stair nosing is only 37" wide and the neccessary expansion is provided every place else in the room maybe this is not an issue?

I'm interested in opinions on these two options and any other suggestions that others may have.

Thanks for your time!

Rad111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:25 PM   #2
Stairguy

do NOT overlap anything at the top of the stairs as it will become a tripping hazard. I would just make a butt it as tight as possible to the nosing. If you leave some room for expansion on the other side of the room you should be fine. Wood expands more in its width than it will in its length so I wouldnt dwell on that too much, especially if it a small room.

Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:55 AM   #3

how thick is the flooring? Any way you could use a biscuit joiner to put a groove and tenon type fastening in it? If your flooring is as thin as 1/2", you could cut out a half lap type joint with the nosing overlapping the floor, and install a thin strip of aluminum to the bottom of the nosing to catch the underside of the flooring. Hard to explain in words.
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:12 AM   #4
Stairguy

he said is is using 3/4" flooring in OP. But I have never seen a click floating floor that thick. They are usually 3/8" I believe.
Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:16 PM   #5

It is 3/4" thick floor. Made by SuperFast Solid. Its my understanding that it is a relatively new product. So far have enjoyed working with it with the exception of the Stair nosing issue.
The length of the room across from the stair nosing is about 20 feet
I'm not clear on mrgins response - are you saying this would work only if my floor is 1/2" or less?

Last edited by Rad111; 02-27-2011 at 08:31 AM.
Rad111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 02:48 PM   #6

No Rad111. I'm saying the opposite. You have room with a 3/4" floor to cut a groove in the end of the flooring and then either a spline or a tongue on the nosing. It won't stop shrinkage, but it will stop up and down movement

mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote