Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-06-2009, 12:12 PM   #1

Share |

Flipper top cabinet doors

I am remodeling my camper, I was wanting to make the lower cabinet doors to flip up and slide in for easier access. Any idea of how to do this without a lot of cost? I have seen that they have hinges that do this, but isn't there an easier way?

Novicecarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:20 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Go to a Rokkler (sp?) store and explain what you want to do. They can get almost any type of hardware/hinges/mechanisms, especially dome specialty items. With the right hardware, the doors will be easy.

concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:52 PM   #3

Yup Rockler will probably have the mechanisms you need, but they won't be cheap and will take up space. How about 1/4" sliding bypass doors? Or maybe even tambour doors?
Old 08-07-2009, 08:38 AM   #4

Thank you for all you help. I did go to Rockler and yes they were pricey.
Just thought there would be a simpler way. Tambour doors! No way remember I am a novice. I looked at that also, didn't think that I could tackle that.
Novicecarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novicecarpenter View Post
Tambour doors! No way remember I am a novice. I looked at that also, didn't think that I could tackle that.
Tambour doors are just thin, uniform slats glued to a flexible fabric backing, which run in a groove. They are doable with a table saw and a router.

Another possibility, instead of sliding doors, make a deep saw kerf in the top of the door opening and a shallow one in the bottom. The width of the kerf will be the door thickness. This way you can slide a panel up and in and remove it when necessary.