First Timer On Trim, Need Some Tips. - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-25-2012, 09:06 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

First timer on Trim, need some tips.

Hello,
As the title states, i'm a newbie attempting trimwork.
Here's a short story,
Me and my buddy did some small reno's to my newly acquired condo, we did ceramic tiles and bamboo floors as our initiation to renovation.

Now that the floors are done, i'm trying to decide on what to do with my casings.
I have attached pictures of one casing that i've tried with two different style of header (the top part of the casing). And to be honest, none of them work for me. I'm trying to go for a modern style of trim, with clean lines, and cuting the casing at 45 degre angle is not really my style.
Maybe you guys can shimme in and give me some input. Right now i'm thinking of putting a large and flat piece on the top of the door casing.

1st pic - Plinth block with casing, and a mock up piece of casing as a baseboard to give the intended look. The baseboard is the same style, except 2 inches higher. Just give an example.

2nd pic, what it looks from far back.

3rd pic, up closer, it look weird where where the horizontal meets the vertical piece. Again, not looking at making a 45 degree cut.

4th pic, i flipped the top piece, again, this looks odd to me.

Other option that i'm considering is the following.
https://elitetrimworks.com/skin1/ima...ed_casings.jpg
or maybe just a flat piece of mdf,

What would you guys recommend.
Thanks again.
Syl

Advertisement

laflsyl10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:12 AM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Because you have a "profile" (curved and notched shapes) to the molding, it really needs to be cut at 45 to look right.

Advertisement

Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:27 PM   #3

Try using simple, square corner blocks at the upper corners. No, I don't mean rosettes. I have seen perfectly plain with 45 edges.
QUEENQUITETALOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:12 PM   #4
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,834

You may want to bevel the inside of your plinths, the door could hit the edge of them if opened too far.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:08 PM   #5
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,310

You do trim like I do it.

I'd use fluted pieces for the vertical and horizontal...
a plinth block that was larger than the fluted pieces...
with rosettes at the top corners.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:48 PM   #6

Thanks for the response, i'll try some trials tonight and get back on here tomorrow.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:21 PM   #7
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 174

for picture 1: the proportions dont really work for the plinth block and baseboard in comparison to teh casing. i always use a baseboard that is 2" wider/ taller than the casing. from there the plinth block should be 1" taller than the base

picture 2: having the header casing sitting on top of the legs that way looks terrible, never butt a molding to itself so the profile doesnt smootly flow around the door frame

picture 3: for a boston header same rule applies as to what i mentioned for #1 for the proportions to look correct the header should be atleast 1 1/2- 2 " taller than the width of the casing.. meaning 3" casing with a 5 " header

heres some examples from my portfolio
Attached Thumbnails
First timer on Trim, need some tips.-n1254467715_30371344_7339424.jpg   First timer on Trim, need some tips.-hanson1.jpg   First timer on Trim, need some tips.-oakland5.jpg   First timer on Trim, need some tips.-headertrim.jpg  
Attached Images

woodworkbykirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:39 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 696

Looks like your trying to use beaded baseboard for casing.
Go buy a Starrett 505 mitre guage. Perfect mitres every time.
Any time your trying to do a 45% at the top of a casing you need to make that joint first. Attach the top piece first, then attach the sides by nailing from the top and sides, then the jamb to casing area. This will hold the top joint area tight and allow you to move the casing from side to side to hold it for an equal exposure.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk View Post
for picture 1: the proportions dont really work for the plinth block and baseboard in comparison to teh casing. i always use a baseboard that is 2" wider/ taller than the casing. from there the plinth block should be 1" taller than the base

picture 2: having the header casing sitting on top of the legs that way looks terrible, never butt a molding to itself so the profile doesnt smootly flow around the door frame

picture 3: for a boston header same rule applies as to what i mentioned for #1 for the proportions to look correct the header should be atleast 1 1/2- 2 " taller than the width of the casing.. meaning 3" casing with a 5 " header

heres some examples from my portfolio

Thank you for your reply, very intersting post.
In my picture # 1 you guys seem to have misinterpreted what i was trying to show.
I'm using the same moulding, in this case the casing, on the casing and on the baseboard. But only to show what i was trying to get to. I have the baseboard at home, it is 2 inches taller than the casing that i was making a mock up off.

You guys can see it at this page 13 of the book, the style is ZEN
http://www.classicwoodmouldings.com/...OTT_Retail.pdf

As for the casing itself, it is only held in place by a few nails, and i did install it from top to bottom, but i just posted the image in a difference sequence. I'm still new to this, so i was looking for inputs on headers.

Your image are very helpful.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:20 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
Because you have a "profile" (curved and notched shapes) to the molding, it really needs to be cut at 45 to look right.
I was thinking the same.
jasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:24 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 250

Where the top trim joins here at the top http://www.diychatroom.com/attachmen...ps-hanson1.jpg no offense, but that does not look right to me.

Here's a video on How To Cut Inside Corners

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-...creative-crown

Advertisement

Last edited by jasin; 01-26-2012 at 02:30 PM.
jasin is offline   Reply With Quote