Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-13-2011, 11:28 PM   #1

Share |

first attempt at crown molding

hello this is my first attempt at crown molding. i am a super newbie. i have no tools for the job and i am in the process of getting them. here is what i have on my to buy list so far. i am looking to buy these tools this weekend and start the project next week,

here the air compressor ia am looking at. i have someone selling one for $40 down the street from my house but havnt pulled the trigger yet because i have no idea what i am doing..

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...sor-95275.html

heres the finishing gun i am looking at
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...28&R=100670928

and my ceiling is 9'-0 so im planning on using 6" molding. i am stuck on the mitre saw portion because i dont know what i need so any suggestion on that or anything else i would apreciate it. i know my items are pretty much bare minimum which is ok because i will not have any bigger projects than this. for now. i want to spend around $100-125 if possibble for a saw and could go up on the gun like $10 if it makes sense.

so once again suggestion, concerns. thanks

MANNY74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:21 AM   #2

Not enough space here for a detailed explanation. There are good books on trim carpentry at book and home stores. Look up crown molding procedures, and learn about coping for inside angles.

That 18 ga nailer is a bit light for what you propose. Keep in mind you have to go thru the molding, the wall finish(drywall or plaster) and into wood framing. 16 ga or even 15 ga is better. Consider the Paslode nailers, not hose or cord to drag around.

You will need a good miter saw, preferably a compound miter. For that size molding, it almost has to be a 12" saw.

Last edited by Just Bill; 06-14-2011 at 06:24 AM.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:59 AM   #3

I'd get a nailer with a 2 1/2" capacity.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:33 AM   #4
STAFF

Welcome to the forum, good to have you with us.

The tools you have mentioned are very light weight and of low quality. Just starting most people will start with a less expensive tool and there is nothing wrong with that. One thing to know about less expensive tools is you will be spending a lot of your time trying to get them to work, as many of the less expensive guns will start to hang and jam after a while. You might do better buying a used higher quality tool for just a few $ more.

Just Bill is right about the gun being the wrong size for most molding, it just won't hold the right size and length nails.

IMHO 6" ceiling mold is too large for a 9 foot ceiling, it might make your room look top heavy with the walls no taller than that.

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
tpolk (07-03-2011)
Old 06-14-2011, 10:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiju1943 View Post
Welcome to the forum, good to have you with us.

The tools you have mentioned are very light weight and of low quality. Just starting most people will start with a less expensive tool and there is nothing wrong with that. One thing to know about less expensive tools is you will be spending a lot of your time trying to get them to work, as many of the less expensive guns will start to hang and jam after a while. You might do better buying a used higher quality tool for just a few $ more.

Just Bill is right about the gun being the wrong size for most molding, it just won't hold the right size and length nails.

IMHO 6" ceiling mold is too large for a 9 foot ceiling, it might make your room look top heavy with the walls no taller than that.

Thanks for the input, i will be looking for another gun after I type this, about the size of the molding what would you suggest. i will try to see if i can get some scrape of different sizes so i may see for myself as well. i checked a chart online for the molding size and it suggested 2 1/2" -7 1/2" for 9'-0 ceiling

as far as installing i have been reading online and looking at videos for about a month now and i am ready to dive in. my next concern was the tools now..
Old 06-14-2011, 11:02 AM   #6
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

6" too large. I agree.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:25 PM   #7

Crown Moulding at least to me is very Agrrevating to do and get right. I keep a few scrap pieces with the correct cut.

When I go to make a new cut I use the scraps to make sure I have the crown and the blade oriented correctly.

I often thought about buying a jig to help, but I am getting better and think I can survive without

http://www.kregtool.com/CrownPro-Prodview.html

But it is still tempting
What have I done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:17 PM   #8

I choose the crown size by the size of the room, not the height of the ceiling. The crown size should be balanced by a proportional base treatment.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:26 PM   #9
Stair builder

If you don't intend to do other projects forget the air compressor and gun and buy a hammer and some nails, that approach has worked well for decades.
Keith Mathewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:32 PM   #10

i bought a 6" piece from homedepot and it is way to big i think i will go with 4"

the Kregtool looks tempting and might be of use, but i had the same idea of cutting samples and keeping them aside so i can pretty much copy them when im cutting.

as far as the hammer i think ill pass lol i plan on maybe selling the tools once im done. i thought about renting them but for what they cost to rent i might as well buy them. this is my second dyi project and maybe i will keep them just in case, went looking at mitre saws today ay homedepot, not a team member in sight so im still confused on those. quick question the back stop or plate the you hold the wood against can you buy height adjustments for those i notice the cheaper ones lke a 10" ryobi mitre saw but the back plai only goes up like 3" and i will need a much bigger one for 4 or 5 inch molding

ok really dumb question which side is up and which side is down on the molding lol sorry..
Old 06-14-2011, 11:17 PM   #11
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

The side with the most decorative junk on it is usually the bottom. If that doesn't help, look for the thickest side; that would be your bottom.

Or......... you get smart, and ask your wife how SHE wants it.

Last edited by Willie T; 06-14-2011 at 11:23 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Willie T For This Useful Post:
ThatDaveGuy (06-16-2011)
Old 06-14-2011, 11:21 PM   #12
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANNY74 View Post
i bought a 6" piece from homedepot and it is way to big i think i will go with 4"

the Kregtool looks tempting and might be of use, but i had the same idea of cutting samples and keeping them aside so i can pretty much copy them when im cutting.

as far as the hammer i think ill pass lol i plan on maybe selling the tools once im done. i thought about renting them but for what they cost to rent i might as well buy them. this is my second dyi project and maybe i will keep them just in case, went looking at mitre saws today ay homedepot, not a team member in sight so im still confused on those. quick question the back stop or plate the you hold the wood against can you buy height adjustments for those i notice the cheaper ones lke a 10" ryobi mitre saw but the back plai only goes up like 3" and i will need a much bigger one for 4 or 5 inch molding

ok really dumb question which side is up and which side is down on the molding lol sorry..
This is why you either buy or build a jig.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:50 AM   #13

I cut larger crown moldings laying flat on the table. You won't cut larger moldings with a 10" saw standing it up. 3 1/2" is about the limit with a 10" saw.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:41 AM   #14

hello guys i just wanted to update you on a few things. well i finally got my equipmnet. i ended up geting a 16Ga nail gun 2 1/2" like suggested. i bought a 12 in tradesman saw with stand on craigslist for $125 seem like a good deal lol and i got a craftsman pancake compressor 150PSI max
my crown molding will arrive in about 2 hrs and i am going to give this thing a shot. i practiced some coping last night on my sample piece that i had and it looks way easier in the videos that i have seen then to actually do it myself lol. not sure if i need to cut it a cetrtain way if i am coping or is it the normal 45 cut and thats it? it only for inside corners i know but does it matter what piece i cope? and also if i cope, do i need to 45 the other inside corner pieces or can i leave it at a 90 and install flush with the wall. i hope im making sense here..
Old 06-23-2011, 11:58 AM   #15

Post removed, I misunderstood what you were doing altogether

Last edited by Durt Ferguson; 06-23-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Durt Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote