Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-30-2013, 08:37 PM   #1

Share |

Fire door in existing wall, bedroom to garage?

Hi y'all,

I need to put a fire door in an existing wall separating a garage from a bedroom. The garage side of the wall is stucco, the interior is drywall. My main concern right now is making sure I install it correctly to keep the fire rating intact. Do I need to put in extra insulation around the door?

I'm going to use a pre-hung 90 min fire rated door, but i'm going to have to move some studs around, put a header in, and all that in the existing wall. I have never done this before. Words of wisdom, advice, necessary things I must do with out fail? This is all happening in SoCal.

Thanks

Azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:22 PM   #2
journeyman carpenter

your not allowed to have a doorway going from a bedroom directly into a garage as per fire code..

woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:03 PM   #3

Oh, we'll so much for that.

So, there is another wall I could use from the garage to the laundry room. Its a clean wall, the dryer and washer are on the oppesite side, just won't be as convienient. Same questions apply.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk
your not allowed to have a doorway going from a bedroom directly into a garage as per fire code..
Actually it no longer becomes a bedroom, but a living or working area. Plus you have to remove the closet doors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:50 PM   #5
journeyman carpenter

your right greg.. as long as the room isnt a bedroom your fine... as stated for fire reasons and fumes
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:36 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Friends had to do that for one room, like the Op is wanting to do. Funny thing is, Iowa taxes by the bedroom, and right now it is used as a guest room/office space, so they got under the radar on it.

: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 02-01-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:38 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azul
Oh, we'll so much for that.

So, there is another wall I could use from the garage to the laundry room. Its a clean wall, the dryer and washer are on the oppesite side, just won't be as convienient. Same questions apply.
Just do both, and also check with your local taxing authority, is tey do as I stated with friends of ours in Iowa, which taxes you by the number of physical finished sleeping areas in the structure.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:32 PM   #8

Sweet! Thanks everyone for all the great info. I'll stick with my original plan first. The "bedroom" will not actually be used as a bedroom any way. So, about actually building it...?

Last edited by Azul; 02-01-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:12 PM   #9

typically a fire rated door from garage to interior space must be either a 20-minute rated door or a minimum 1-3/8" solid core.

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:14 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrackins View Post
typically a fire rated door from garage to interior space must be either a 20-minute rated door or a minimum 1-3/8" solid core.
Depends on the area. Some require a min. 2 hour burn for the door. 20 min is nothing, when you actually think about it.

To add, anyone with a older style smoke detector, not a photo-cell type, it can take at least 35 min's before you are aware that a fire is happening somewhere in the home, if it is smoldering, and not raging. Even if it is raging, it can take 17 min's max, before the older style detectors go off.

Last edited by gregzoll; 02-02-2013 at 12:02 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
GBrackins (02-01-2013)
Old 02-01-2013, 11:20 PM   #11

true, I was providing the 2009 International Residential Code requirement, as it only requires 1/2" drywall on the wall to separate the garage from living space.

R302.5.1 Opening protection. Openings from a private garage directly into a room used for sleeping purposes shall not be permitted. Other openings between the garage and residence shall be equipped with solid wood doors not less than 13⁄8 inches (35 mm) in thickness, solid or honeycomb core steel doors not less than 13⁄8 inches (35 mm) thick, or 20-minute fire-rated doors.

gregzoll is correct, best to check with local authorities

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote