Finishing Nailer Vs. Clipped Head And Framing Nailer - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-08-2008, 12:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Finishing nailer vs. clipped head and framing nailer

I am about to build a lean to shed in the rear of my home. I will build three sides and use the existing brick fascade of the house for the rear. Using 2X4's and perhaps cedar planks for siding can I use a finishing nailer? I have a Dewalt D51275 nailer but its for finishing nails. I'm aware that it would not meet local building code. Thanks...........Woody

Advertisement

harwoodb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:51 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Those finishing nails would not have any holding power for a lean to anything. I bought myself a Senco Pro 602 Framing gun from lowes and havent regretted it yet. If all I was going to do was build a lean to, I would just use a hammer

on second thought... knowing what i know about a framing gun... I would buy the gun.

Advertisement

Last edited by rustic; 10-08-2008 at 12:55 PM.
rustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:14 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Keep in mind that modern construction depends on several things to make something solid. Sheeting on a building is integral to the strength and needs at least 12d nails to help keep the 2x4's in place.

But once that is done you can use anything you want to to nail on the siding. Keep in mind that wood is dynamic meaning that it is always flexing, expanding, contracting, twisting and so on. Things like sudden pressure gradient changes and aerodynamics can cause damage. Extreme examples of this are tornados (massive pressure change) and hurricanes (aerodynamics). But even a 30 mph wind can cause a small building to come up off the foundation if it is designed so that there is lower pressure on the top versus inside pressure and the building is not secured to the ground.

I have found that information dictates correct procedures.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:37 PM   #4
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,044

I'd spring for the framing nailer, but I don't need much of an excuse to buy tools..... Harbor Freight has them pretty cheap when they're on sale (harborfreight.com if you don't have a retail store locally). I can't vouch for the quality of the tools (made in China mostly), but for an occasional user it may be ok. They are warranted so you could return it if its a piece of junk. A quality framer is in the $225 -$300 range at HD or Lowes. (The best way to go.) Or you could opt to "hand bang" as rustic suggested. Definitely use framing nails!
Old 10-08-2008, 05:37 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks, I went for the pnematic heavy duty palm nailer , and the round type nails since I will be using angle braces, contractor friend of mine suggested it . I'm quick to buy the tools also, but Ihave a real nice Dewalt trim nailer and have run out of projects where I am likely to use the larger framing nailer. Hate to drop a couple of hundred dollars for a tool I will only use once. Usually end up loaning things to the neighbors. I havent used the galvenized angle supports but they look easy enough. Know what I mean, you see them often used instead of toe nailing 2x4's they have them in a variety of angles.
harwoodb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:57 PM   #6
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,044

Understand completely..... in this day and time, it's hard to spend on things other than necessities. And again I really hate to even suggest the "China Freight" gun, but it might do for occasional use. Sounds like you came up with a good plan. You can always "tack" things together with a couple of trim nails then use your brackets and palm nailer for the final install. (Could use screws for that matter, if you're using brackets.) Best of luck.

Advertisement