Finishing A Basement Window - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2009, 09:21 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Finishing a Basement Window

Hi All,

We recently had some egress windows put in our basement. I am now finishing up the remodel, and I am trying to figure out the best way to finish one of our 4' x 4' windows. One of them was fine, but this one is a monster. The rough in is even with the drywall on one side, and is set appropriately (3/8" back to account for the drywall) on the other. The 2x12's which account for the rough in are not even, and well, I'm having trouble deciding what to do to make it look good. I started putting in the finishing lumber, and when I completed three of the sides, gaps in the joints were exposed, and I have a lot of patchwork to do. My main concern is with the trim work, because of the way the rough in meets up with the wall. Any ideas on what I can do? This happens to be in the main living area of the basement. My son's room turned out fine, and there were no issues with that window.

Advertisement

Dan OBrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan OBrien View Post
Hi All,

We recently had some egress windows put in our basement. I am now finishing up the remodel, and I am trying to figure out the best way to finish one of our 4' x 4' windows. One of them was fine, but this one is a monster. The rough in is even with the drywall on one side, and is set appropriately (3/8" back to account for the drywall) on the other. The 2x12's which account for the rough in are not even, and well, I'm having trouble deciding what to do to make it look good. I started putting in the finishing lumber, and when I completed three of the sides, gaps in the joints were exposed, and I have a lot of patchwork to do. My main concern is with the trim work, because of the way the rough in meets up with the wall. Any ideas on what I can do? This happens to be in the main living area of the basement. My son's room turned out fine, and there were no issues with that window.
Do you have any photos to help see the problem? You may need to cut to fit 1x? to line the inside of window opening. Lay a straight edge across drywall pulling 1x out to flush with drywall all the way around window. If you have a gap back at the actual window, you may be able to fill with foam in a can and caulk, then if needed possibly cover with 1/4 round or something simular. From there you will leave a reveal around window, as you cut and trim with 2-1/4 window casing. Are you painting the trim? If so paintable caulking can hide alot of small problems.

Advertisement

butlersprints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:32 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the reply butlersprints! I've attached a photo with comments, so maybe this will help you see what I'm dealing with. On the left side of the photo, I have the 2x12's exposed, due to the way the rough in aligned with the wall of the basement. I like your ideas on the reveal of the window though, and will take your advice. Caulk and quarter round go a loooong way:-) Yes, I'm painting the trim, etc. Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails
Finishing a Basement Window-windowwithcomments.jpg  
Dan OBrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:56 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan OBrien View Post
Thanks for the reply butlersprints! I've attached a photo with comments, so maybe this will help you see what I'm dealing with. On the left side of the photo, I have the 2x12's exposed, due to the way the rough in aligned with the wall of the basement. I like your ideas on the reveal of the window though, and will take your advice. Caulk and quarter round go a loooong way:-) Yes, I'm painting the trim, etc. Thanks again!
So it appears that the problem is the left side correct? If needed you can make your window trim, using say a 1x4 & router it to give some design. I will cover more than standard 2-1/4 trim. Be creative & make sure you use paintable caulk.
butlersprints is offline   Reply With Quote