Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-04-2007, 06:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Finding stud in plaster ceiling

I'm going to install beadboard (wainscotting) on the ceiling of our new kitchen, however, I need to find some studs to nail the planks to. I do have access to the studs abovethe ceiling from the attic and can locate the studs from there. Should I position my drill bit next to the stud and drill through the kitchen ceiling in a few places floowing the stud then snapping a chalk line, lining up the hols that I have drilled? After locating the studs, the beadboard is only about 1/4 thick, what do you guys suggest that I attach it to the ceiling with? I have some liquid nails type adhesive and a nail gun that shoots 1-2 inch nails. Pictured is the actual ceiling. What do you guys think?

Last edited by bigboyjoel; 06-04-2007 at 06:45 PM. Reason: picture insert
bigboyjoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:06 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboyjoel View Post
I'm going to install beadboard (wainscotting) on the ceiling of our new kitchen, however, I need to find some studs to nail the planks to. I do have access to the studs abovethe ceiling from the attic and can locate the studs from there. Should I position my drill bit next to the stud and drill through the kitchen ceiling in a few places floowing the stud then snapping a chalk line, lining up the hols that I have drilled?
Using the drill bit will work to help you locate the strapping or the joists from underneath. Snapping chalk lines will help, however, realize that while putting up sheets of beadboard, those chalk lines will be hidden from your view. Use some narrow strips of blue painter's tape (with the chalk lines) to mark the joists/strapping on the tops of the walls (you'll be able to see that).

Quote:
After locating the studs, the beadboard is only about 1/4 thick, what do you guys suggest that I attach it to the ceiling with?
I would suggest simple latex caulking (easier removal - if in the feature, you, or anyone else, changes their mind about the beadboard)

Quote:
I have some liquid nails type adhesive and a nail gun that shoots 1-2 inch nails. Pictured is the actual ceiling. What do you guys think?
I wouldn't use the liquid nail. If someone ever decides to take the beadboard down and go back to a flat ceiling, the liquid nail will be hardened like cement, and they will have to re-sheetrock it. Besides, the latex caulking will hold just as good.
I would suggest that you test using the board with your nailer on a scrap piece of bead board. Nail it onto some scrap lumber and see if the head holds the board adequately enough to allow the caulking to properly dry. (Especially, If you plan on using a Brad nailer, as they are not real good at holding 1/4" panel-type boards because of the small head on them)
1.5" to 2" nails should do the trick. Make sure that you inspect the area from your attic for any shallow wiring prior to your work.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 06-05-2007 at 05:39 AM. Reason: spelling
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 10:15 PM   #3

That helps considerably. I was going to use the beadboard planks that you fit together about every six inches. This is a description (in bold)of the product that I will be using from Menard's, it's on sale $5.74 for 14 sq ft:
Cottage Grade Pine Plank Paneling
14 sq. ft. pkg. Beaded design. Tongue and groove for easy installation with nails or adhesive. 5/16" thick x 3-9/16" wide x 8' long. Six pieces per package. 501-3500

They come in planks in a box. It just sucks that I have to go into the attic not only to look for my joists but also to look for shallow wiring. The kitchen ceiling is about 120sq ft, quite a small area thank God. I will be running the planks the opposite direction of the joists, so snapping a chalk line across the ceiling and covering it up with paneling won't be an issue because I'm not using paneling. The nail plan to use is a 1.5 inch brad finishing nail, no staples. Oh, by he way, the house was built in 1942, any other precautions I should be taking with this grand adventure?
Old 06-05-2007, 12:54 AM   #4

Good choice on the planks. I think I remember discussing this job with you not too long ago. Finding studs/joists in plaster can be a pain. The drill bit method will be the most accurate. Find the dead centers of the joists (3/4" from edges) then snap your lines. I agree with Atlantic about the latex caulk, if anything.... liquid nails is way overkill...in fact, if you're finding studs and using planks, you could get away with no adhesive at all if you got a hold of a little beefier nailer. I'll be waiting for some photos of the finished job.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 06-05-2007 at 05:36 AM. Reason: minor language reference
send_it_all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 08:11 AM   #5

Right on, yea, you did write me on that I think, I should have reposted off that original post, I forgot I sent out a thread about that. I agree about the nail issue. I got a guy helping me, if he held the plank and I drill a pilot hole, use a larger head finishing nail and countersink the heads, I think I'll be safe. After install, I'll just cover my holes with wood filler and give it a fresh layer of paint. Done. I will post my pics of my ceiling and floor. Thanks!
Old 06-05-2007, 08:31 AM   #6

Actually, if you are using tongue and groove planks, you should be nailing at an angle through the tongues, so there should only be nail holes in the faces of the first and last boards where you have to face nail or can't get the proper angle or space to nail the tongues.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:35 AM   #7

I will be using the tongue and groove type, however, how do I nail at an angle in the tongue so it does not interfere with the with the next plank going into the groove?
Old 06-05-2007, 08:37 AM   #8

Secondly, while we are on the subject, will my nails from my nail gun (if I choose to go this route) go through plaster?
Old 06-05-2007, 08:43 AM   #9

You hold the nail gun at the base of the tongue pointing the gun at an angle toward the center of the board just enough so that the nail doesnt pop through the other side of the tongue. If you have the shot depth adjusted correctly on the nail gun, the nail head will automatically sink deep enough not to interfere with the fitting of the next piece. I wish I knew how to post a drawing.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:45 AM   #10

Oh, I forgot....yes the nails will shoot through plaster easily.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:22 AM   #11

Kinda like this huh? Can I do this with my nail gun instead of renting the special nalier for this job?

Attached Thumbnails
Finding stud in plaster ceiling-porta_nail_2.jpg  
Old 06-05-2007, 06:53 PM   #12

Exactly like that...you can do it with a regular nail gun.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:29 PM   #13
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

OUCH...my eyes....
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 07:35 PM   #14

lol...I had to add 2 extra monitors to view that