DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

filler on kitchen cabinet

8K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  timbo59 
#1 ·
We're about to order kitchen cabinets for our place, and we seem to have a problem that might be difficult to overcome.

We've never had a wall oven before, but decided with our latest kitchen upgrade that this is what we wanted, together with a cooktop, rather than the standard range. Only problem is that the unit we've purchased for the kitchen, a GE Profile combo, doesn't fit the usual size criteria. Most people go for double ovens when it comes to wall mounting, or a single unit. We went with the option of an oven/microwave combo, which fits our needs perfectly. Only problem is that it's 12 inches shorter in height that the standard double oven configuration, and the cabinet manufacturer, even though they allow for a little wiggle room for different brands, doesn't think our combo will fill up the cavity in their double oven cabinets.

Question is, could I use a filler strip of wood with matching finish above or below the unit to take up the extra space, and if so could it be done without making the cabinet look like tacked on crap? Has anyone had experience of this problem?

The other alternative might be to order a single oven cabinet and enlarge it, but I'm guessing that the space where the second oven would go is taken up by a set of doors or extra drawer storage.

A bit of a pain that our appliance preference could screw up our kitchen cabinet selection.

Appreciate any feedback on the issue.

See less See more
#2 ·
i just did something similar in a wall oven cabinet where i raised the oven to the top of the cabinet by building a platform in the bottom. I then created a false drawer front to go under the oven so it looked like part of the cabinet. i would think the supplier could offer a matching drawer front with fasteners like they use at kitchen sinks. hope this helps timothy

#3 ·
interesting

Well, that is an interesting idea. Does it look perfectly normal - the drawer doesn't butt right up to the bottom of the appliance? And it doesn't look skewered and out of place compared to the other drawers?

If you could pop up a digital pic it would certainly be appreciated, as it would give a clearer idea how it works and looks.

Thanks for the suggestion.

#5 ·
Timbo,
I'm surprised the cab manufacturer doesn't have a cabinet that will work. I am trying to remember what the cabinet looked like before I modified it to fit the combo shown below. I want to say it was for a double oven, but I don't remember. What about getting a cabinet for a single oven and making the opening bigger. Usually there are a few drawers underneath the oven opening. You can remove the drawers and hardware and cut out the opening to fit your appliances.
Mike Hawkins:)

Attachments

#6 ·
won't work.

Hi again,
I already checked on that, as it seemed an ideal solution. Apparently with this particular manufacturer the space on the single oven cabinet is taken up a couple of doors. So I'd run into the same problem of having space to take up. maybe another manufacturer could provide a better solution, but we really like these particular cabinets, both in appearance and pricing.

Perhaps I may order a drawer front and a filler piece and experiment with both to see which one looks better.

Nice picture of your kitchen by the way. So that unit showing is like mine, a microwave/oven combo? What's the height on it - the GE unit I have is 42" when measured on the facing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.