DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Fence Post question

8K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  concretemasonry 
#1 ·
Looking for input on installing a 4 foot high wood picket fence with a double gate at the end of a drive way. To options for attching fence with gate that have been proposed: 1)Core drill into concrete drive and set a post or 2)attach to side of house which is brick. The opposite end of the fence will be to post set in the ground. Any input or advise would be appreciated on prefered method and why.

#2 ·
You said your house was brick, but it may just be wood frame with a brick veneer. If you want to attach to the house you will have to go through the brick and the probable air space (if the brick was properly attached) and into the wood from for a structurally sound attachment.

If you have wood veneer and will be setting one post, you may be better off going with setting another steel post in concrete.

If you have a complete masonry home, you could attach to the house.

It all depends on what the construction of your house is.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. The house is 1971 brick ranch. My best guess is that it is brick veneer with a wood frame. I am not crazy about idea of drilling through the brick, the air space and anchoring into the wood frame. It sounds like a better plan to core drill into the driveway and set a fence post.

#5 ·
Could not get the post to work-

I never that heard such thing ever existed and worked long term, so I would like to see it. A double swinging driveway gate is not a toy and many people have looked for a solution for years because of the alignment and swinging. The gate sag is always going to be a problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.