Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-05-2011, 08:21 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Fence installation - Tool Question

So the 50mph winds in the DFW area have done a number on my back fence and I'm about to start repairing/rebuilding. Due to financial (just bought the daughter a new car) as well as time restraints, I'm having to do a section at a time, which is keeping me from renting a nailer/compressor. I'm installing a 3/4 x 3.5" board on board (matches the fence the neighbor just had installed) using a Dewalt 18v drill. I'm wondering if there are any attachments that will make setting these screws easier/faster? Don't have the screws picked out yet, so I guess I'm open to suggestions on that as well. I appreciate all the help I can get on this!

rkwerchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:30 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Stainless screws are best - galvanized over time will rust and stain down the boards. The screws should drive into the boards pretty easy. If not, pre-drill a slighly smaller hole then run the screw in.

vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:00 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

I use decking screws that are rated for treated wood as they last longer and will not tend to break as easily as stainless, plus they cost a lot less.

cheers
fixrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:59 PM   #4

Thanks for the ideas guys. I was mainly looking for some type of drill attachment for my drill to make it more like a screw gun, maybe even something that used screw strips. Anyway, just using the drill and new Phillips bits... And 2" Grip-Rite exterior screws. So far, so good!
Old 04-05-2011, 11:57 PM   #5
uva uvam videndo variafit

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwerchan View Post
Thanks for the ideas guys. I was mainly looking for some type of drill attachment for my drill to make it more like a screw gun, maybe even something that used screw strips. Anyway, just using the drill and new Phillips bits... And 2" Grip-Rite exterior screws. So far, so good!
Robertson (square drive) tend to hang on the bit better. You can check McFeeleys to see what they carry in an exterior grade.

I'm not aware of any attachment, but I know what you mean. In past deck builds, I spread the screws and started them in with a hammer while another guy followed up with the driver. You can probably do the same with the boards in a group before you put them up.
WirelessG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:33 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 25

This may help,it seems to help the DIYer

http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/001366.php
Gizmoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:35 AM   #7

I've actually accumulated a few of those from buying Dewalt drill bit kits in the past. They're great except they won't accommodate a larger screw head like I'm using. I just used a regular drill bit and it wasn't so bad. Funny thing is that when I was almost done and had about 6 screws left to drive, the neighbor came out and acted surprised to see me, saying he wished he knew I was doing this and he would have come helped with his pneumatic nail gun. How could you not know for 3 days that I was putting up a new fence (that technically may be his responsibility, but the plat blueprints are a little wonky)?!?! What a winner...
Old 04-06-2011, 05:59 PM   #8
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,430

Screws look tacky for fencing IMO.

1 ” SS Ring Shank Siding Nails for fencing.