Felt Over Plastic Housewrap - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-11-2011, 12:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Felt over plastic housewrap

Subcontractors came today and housewrap and siding on my workshop. About half way through I opened blinds to check and found they had wrapped the house in Lowes brand housewrap instead of the 30# felt written in contract. (I'm a believer in the time honored materials). I called the contractor to complain. They were finishing the second side at the time.

So then for one remaining side, they did use felt, but simply installed it OVER the Lowes housewrap. Apparently they ran out of felt after that and left the fourth side (except for the shared corner) uncovered, like 3 other sides.

Now I'm wondering if I can get this changed, AND I'm wondering what to do if the contractor suggests they can fix it by putting felt on the three remaining sides, but not removing the housewrap, also leaving the one side done that way as is.

In several ways, two wraps might be better than one. But I wonder if Lowes housewrap was designed to allow this use. I'm worried that the housewrap might trap moisture with felt over it worse than with the siding over it, which is Hardie Panel. OTOH, maybe sometimes people may do things like this for good reason in special applications, but wouldn't it be better to put the plastic over the felt? Felt operates through a kind of wicking action as much as blocking action.

I see why people do these things themselves.

Advertisement

Last edited by charlesp210; 12-11-2011 at 12:53 AM.
charlesp210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:51 PM   #2
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

They have created a moisture trap and I would not allow it to remain. Besides that , it is highly probable that the asphalt in the felt is not compatable with the fiber in the housewrap.

Advertisement

troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:29 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,052

Welcome to the forums!

Where are you located?

I always suggest two layers of WRB. I haven't read of problems with the two reacting negatively before. Any foam board in the wall make-up? Any OSB?

The #30 of today is not the 30 pound of yesteryear: http://www.dickseibert.com/martin.pdf

Gary
Old 12-19-2011, 11:55 PM   #4

I'm located in San Antonio TX.

I'm planning to let contractor continue, leaving felt over perforated wrap on one side of building.

I don't think it will cause a problem because both layers are vapor permeable. It appears the Lowe's wrap has a permeability of 15 (comparing it with the supposedly equivalent Pactiv perf wrap).

There could be problems, but even more issues might be created taking everything apart and rebuilding by same builder.

Felt is sometimes deliberately used on top of plastic wrap to provide a drainage channel.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:09 PM   #5

"Drainage plane" is what either or both will create. The 30# felt has a variable permeability of 5-30 the wetter it gets. Two layers are recommended; http://www.fortifiber.com/pdf/News_I...o%20Layers.pdf

18-24 is ideal, pp. 24: http://www.energy.ca.gov/2007publica...esidential.pdf

Things to watch for; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...researchreport

What is the siding material?

Gary
Old 12-21-2011, 10:13 PM   #6

Siding is Hardie Panel (4x8 panels) E10 with Hardie Trim.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:59 PM   #7

GRB, what is that last link? A huge document of details for an application of foam sheathing? How does any of that apply to the OP?

OP, I would take the time to have the contractor follow the specs he signed the contract for. By letting him half-a** the work, your laying down and essentially telling him "Alright, do whatever you want and I'll cut you the check when you tell me to". You have an agreement with him for a certain product. He owes it to you before payment can be received.

Last edited by Gary in WA; 12-22-2011 at 12:18 AM. Reason: removed profanity as per forum rules.
AGWhitehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:19 AM   #8

Thanks, AGW, that was a foam/window link.... the one I had in mind; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...w_flashing.pdf

Gary
Old 12-22-2011, 12:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
Thanks, AGW, that was a foam/window link.... the one I had in mind; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...w_flashing.pdf

Gary
Ahh...that's make much more sense

Advertisement