Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-11-2010, 12:06 PM   #1

Share |

Fastening deck posts to concrete

This weekend I started work on replacing the planks on a section of my deck. In the process I found that my deck is a floating deck. I plan on attaching the ledger board to my house (it's up against hollow cinder block so shouldn't be too bad). The problem I found is that the deck posts aren't attached to the concrete footing, they're just sitting on top. (This explains why the deck would bounce when my son would jump on it).

Do they make post anchors that I can slide under the post and screw/bolt into the post and the existing concrete? I've done some searching on Lowe's and Home Depot's websites and I don't see anything like that. I obviously don't want to tear up the concrete and redo it all.
spaceman spif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:38 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Simpson makes a post bracket specifically designed for retrofit problems such as yours. However, it requires that you install a bolt into the concrete, which means drilling and epoxy. You are going to need to temporarily remove the existing post to make the connection. This also assumes that you actually have an adequate concrete footing under the post. Since the builder failed to attach the post to the concrete, they may also have "forgotten" to put in a footing, you might only have a few inches of poured concrete, which would not be adequate for attaching a Simpson retrofit post bracket.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:42 PM   #3

It would be nice if someone made a bracket where you didn't have to remove the post to bolt it to the concrete. Instead have a galvanized box with an open top and with two of the sides folded down. Slide it under the post, bolt the two sides folded up to the post, and bolt the two sides folded down to the concrete. That way you don't have to remove the post.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:42 PM   #4

The main point is that the post rests on a weight bearing column of concrete that goes below the frost line.
It should not just sit on an old concrete patio slab that's been covered by a deck.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 02:49 PM   #5

Will I ever have a project in this house that won't turn into a ha-yuge demolition and renovation????
Old 10-11-2010, 04:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman spif View Post
Will I ever have a project in this house that won't turn into a ha-yuge demolition and renovation????
We never spend enough time savoring the easy ones because they go by so quickly. But the beasts have a tendency to linger and get out full attention.
Well... back to work tomorrow. Will it be beauty or the beast?
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
We never spend enough time savoring the easy ones because they go by so quickly. But the beasts have a tendency to linger and get out full attention.
Well... back to work tomorrow. Will it be beauty or the beast?
Ron
It's been kinda beastly on my wallet...