Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-03-2013, 04:48 PM   #1

Share |

Fastening Azek/pvc trim?

So I decided to go with pvc trim (brick mould and door jamb) for my service and garage door. I did some experimenting with Cortex hidden screws, 15 ga finish nailer, 16 ga finish nailer, and hand finish nails. The cortex system might work, but as far as nailing goes I need to fill the hole. What do you guys use to putty the nail hole? Ideally, I'd like to fill it without painting. I tried MH ready patch but am struggling with getting the hole filled flush without sanding. Anyone have a better technique or product to use?

Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:02 PM   #2

Fastening Azek/pvc trim?

Trimbonder is one brand. It's a two part epoxy for gluing and filling nail holes.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:15 PM   #3

Fastening Azek/pvc trim?

Read the box the trim nails come in. Most say not for exterier use even if there galvinized.
Way to small a gauge.
I predill all my trim and used double dipped galvinized finish nails. I tap them in before holding up the trim so I can just worry about holding it in place.
I use stainless steel trim head screws and PVC cement to hold the outside corners together.
I've just used Alex 230 to fill the holes, wipe once over it with a stiff damp sponge to clean it up.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:19 AM   #4
Exterior Construction

Fastening Azek/pvc trim?

Most guys in our area fill the holes with sealant as Joe mentioned.

If done right, it looks very clean.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:13 AM   #5

Fastening Azek/pvc trim?

The main thing is do not leave any on the surface. It only needs to be in the hole.
A simple wipe with a damp sponge is all it takes.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:06 AM   #6

Fastening Azek/pvc trim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Read the box the trim nails come in. Most say not for exterier use even if there galvinized.
Way to small a gauge.
I predill all my trim and used double dipped galvinized finish nails. I tap them in before holding up the trim so I can just worry about holding it in place.
I use stainless steel trim head screws and PVC cement to hold the outside corners together.
I've just used Alex 230 to fill the holes, wipe once over it with a stiff damp sponge to clean it up.
I was leaning toward the hand nailed finish nails myself, they seem to give the cleanest hole when set. Should be easy to fill. I'll give the sponge a try to level things out. Thanks for the responses guys!
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:34 PM   #7
journeyman carpenter

Fastening Azek/pvc trim?

if your going to hand nail, look into getting some stainless nails. even buy small box of stainless 15 gauge nails and drive them by hand it does work.. the problem with using galvonized is that they will bleed over time

woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote