Fastening 2 2x4's Together Like An X..... - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-09-2015, 09:08 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 107

fastening 2 2x4's together like an X.....

I have build a base for a prop- I thought an "X" using 2x4's like a Xmas tree stand might work well for outside- What is the best way to fasten them together? I'm guessing one (or both) would have to be notched and then screwed- Any suggestions on making a flat X out of 8' 2x4's? I also have to figure out if I want them joined on the edge side or flat- I realize on edge is much stronger- (but higher)

Advertisement

Huskyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:13 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 221

A half-lap joint is what you're describing, and will work well. Mark the area to be cut out on each piece (hold the other piece on top to mark it, rather than trying to measure things), and remove half of the material. The easiest way to do this is on the table saw with a dado set.

You could also do this with a router, or a circular saw. If you're doing either one of those, I would clamp the two boards together, edge to edge, and cut them both at the same time (saves time, and they'll be consistent). If you're going the circular saw route, make a cut to establish the shoulders of the notch, then make several close-spaced cut between them, and knock out the waste with a chisel.

Best to use two pieces of scrap 2x4 to set your blade/bit cut depth first. Start at less than half, and make test cuts, raising them until you're halfway. You'll know you're halfway when you can put the two pieces of notched scrap together, and everything is flush across the top.

Or, you can just set your cut to halfway through, and skip the test pieces if you're OK with things not being perfect (if they're not, the X will rock). I've done props for a few years for the local high school's plays, and sometimes close enough is good enough.

Add a few screws, and if this is going to be a permanent fixture, or will be destroyed after use, add some wood glue before screwing it together.

Advertisement

Durt Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 02:47 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,569

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskyfan68 View Post
I have build a base for a prop-

It really depends on how much 'structure' is needed. Many prop things would be just fine with them simply screwed (deck screws not drywall screws) or bolted together. Then add a small block to the end of the bottom of the top board (thinking like a xmas tree stand).
Old 07-10-2015, 09:29 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyt View Post
It really depends on how much 'structure' is needed. Many prop things would be just fine with them simply screwed (deck screws not drywall screws) or bolted together. Then add a small block to the end of the bottom of the top board (thinking like a xmas tree stand).
Let's not go making it too simple, now.
Durt Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote