DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Exterior steps, Need temporary fix till summer

7K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Kevin M. 
#1 ·
I purchased an old house a few years ago and didn't know how really bad the problems were. Need some tips, or suggestions.

First thing, my front steps are basically falling off the front deck. I've had a hip surgery two weeks ago and I'm having a very hard time getting around. I need somehow to make a railing that is strong and lift the steps some how.

I've been trying to think of a quick easy fix to get me by till my hip has healed. Its very slippery with snow and ice so the railing is most important to me. Just doing the railing on the driveway side.

I was thinking something like 4x4's some how attached to the outside of the step and a 2x4 or something like that.

If someone knows the calculations also for steps and the rise and could explain it to me that would be great. Just trying to think ahead for when I can actually fix them.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I would love to take them down, but i'm not able to and don't have anyone to help. My plan is to take them down this spring, but there's major issues with the deck its attached to. I think it I need a plan for the two combined. I was looking and the deck is holding up a roof and its not supported right at all. :( The supports under the deck don't line up with the ones above the deck holding the roof. and major water damage the back 10ft where someone had built a rail into the roof.

Attachments

#5 ·
For a temporary railing you could install a 4X4 (red) into a post anchor (blk) attach a 2X6 to post and porch post (yellow) attach a railing bracket (blue) and a handrail (brown) Of course as mentioned, the steps should be replaced asap. OK, I'm snowed in today and bored!!:laughing:

Kevin

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.