Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-25-2010, 01:52 PM   #1

Share |

Exterior Stairs to Coach House Need to be Repaired/Replaced. Help Appreciated!

So my project this year is to redo the exterior stairs leading up to the coach house above the garage. Generally I think this outside of my carpentry skills, but at the very least I want to get together the materials for my local handy guy to do the repairs.

The problem with these stairs, which as far as I can guess were installed maybe 15 years ago is that the stringer (I believe it is called) is rotting because the stairs tilt towards the garage wall, causing water to pool. I probably got a couple more years use out of them by trying to caulk and seal, but it's gotten so bad I have had to use a 2x4 to support one stair where the stringer is giving way.

It seems like the platform at the top of the stairs is fine, as well as the 4x4 supports. The stairs are rotting too now.

My questions: So does it seem like I just need to get the stringer and stairs replaced? Should I opt for pressure treated wood? How do I tell the handyman to do it so that this doesn't happen again and the stairs tilt slightly *away* from the garage wall to prevent water pooling? Do stringers like this come standard, or do I need to have one cut? Am I forgetting anything?

Thanks in advance. Some photos for reference...

http://home.comcast.net/~editorjamie/IMG_6294.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~editorjamie/IMG_6295.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~editorjamie/IMG_6296.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~editorjamie/IMG_6297.jpg

2031pratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:23 PM   #2
DIY staff

Those would still be fine if they were make with presure treated in the first place.

I don't know the skill level of your handyman---The stairs and stringers will have to be cut on site.

If your guy is not a carpenter of some skill--stairs are not every carpenters job----

Look to your local old fashioned lumber yard or deck yard for a referral--

Someone with deck building experience is your best bet---Got any friends who had a deck built?(properly)---Mike---

oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:48 PM   #3
Tool Geek

Unhappy

Good advice from Mike
For Safeties sake I would not use the local Handy guy.

Both for your safety and for his safety.

You are liable for any accident of his, both for an accident to him and for an accident to you that was caused by his workmanship.
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:29 PM   #4

can i get the stringer in pressure treated wood? part of the reason also for the stringer rotting is because whoever installed it didn't paint the side facing the garage.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:41 PM   #5

Like a lot of construction one of the secrets of quality work is take your time. With stair layout this is especially true. Be careful with the layout for the stringers and select stock that is free of knots and defects and do not overcut for the tread and riser. Check your local building code and you will find specifications for the maximum height of risers, e.g. 7 3/4"; minimum tread depth, e.g. 9" plus nosing; min nosing 3/4", max nosing 1 1/4"; most codes now require closed risers. There will be tolerances specified, e.g. that the difference between the greatest and smallest rise may be no greater than 3/8". There will also be a requirement that the material used be resistent to the weather, e.g. pressure treated lumber like ACQ or naturally resistent lumber like cedar. Railing codes are also specific, be sure to reference them. Even if you are not pulling a building permit (your local municpality likely requires one for a stair replacement) you still want to build to code as todays codes are the result of many safety studies. Historically stairs have been the involved in many serious injuries. You also have the option of contacting a local millwork and get a quote for a pre made stair delivered. You just need to set it and install the rail. Good Luck.
TheCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:50 PM   #6
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Download this.... http://www.stairways.org/pdf/2006%20...C%20SCREEN.pdf
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2031pratt View Post
can i get the stringer in pressure treated wood? part of the reason also for the stringer rotting is because whoever installed it didn't paint the side facing the garage.

well, as for the the stringer rotting yes paint the other side if you are going to paint them. But, also dont place it on the wall hold if off the wall so you are not traping water.
Brad Talent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:05 AM   #8
DIY staff

PRATT-- Your stair maker will be cutting the stringers to fit your house---
As you can see from WillieT's post a bit of math is involved--

You should not have to much trouble finding a skilled carpenter who can build you a nice -safe-
stair case that will give you many -many years of trouble free service.

---Mike--
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:41 AM   #9

Alright, thanks for the tips. I am going to the lumber yard and get an idea of what wood I would need. So...screws or nails for a project like exterior stairs?
Old 04-07-2010, 02:43 PM   #10

I like using decking screws. Never liked nails for these types of things.

slickgt1 is offline   Reply With Quote