Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-09-2009, 01:04 PM   #1

Share |

exterior door replacement

I'm going to replace one of my exterior doors. this pparticular door is the hated steel door (at least I hate 'em cause they can't be planed and this one warps when it gets hot making it impossible to open without a bulldozer :-(((
should I just replace the door itself (at least the frame is wood) or go the whole route and install a prehung door? and is that a big hassle what with getting the old frame out etc.

tnx,ken

analogmusicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:34 PM   #2
Not so new

Ken....I like buying a prehung for a couple of reasons. First, I find it easier. Slide it in and nail it up. If you go the slab route you have to be very careful that you get the hinge placement exact. Second, prehung comes as a unit with the correct weather stripping and threshold. I think you get a much better, tighter, door install. Installation is easy. Remove moldings inside and out. With a sawsall cut the nails and/or screws that hold it in the opening and remove. Install as you would any prehung and reinstall trim.

12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:55 PM   #3

tnx for the quick reply 12penny. I was thinking of just replacing the door since this door is the entrance to an apartment on my lower level and that seemed to be faster. good point about the hinges. the mortice would have to be exact.
if I get a prehung,would I have to remove the storm door?

tnx,ken
Old 02-09-2009, 02:08 PM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

Yes, remove it and put it back up on the other. This part is easy. It just screws into the reveal of the exterior trim. Buying the slab only is not much cheaper than a pre-hung unit. Check what wall thickness you need to order the correct jam size.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:16 PM   #5
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

I guess I'm weird, but I happen to love door installation. And, carefully preparing for new hinges is a labor of love... and really not hard. Just have to be very exact.

Me (and this is just me) I'd go the slab route. Big satisfaction factor.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:50 PM   #6
Man of many hats

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogmusicman View Post
tnx for the quick reply 12penny. I was thinking of just replacing the door since this door is the entrance to an apartment on my lower level and that seemed to be faster. good point about the hinges. the mortice would have to be exact.
if I get a prehung,would I have to remove the storm door?

tnx,ken
When I read your first post about your door, the first thing I wondered was if you had a storm door on it since you say it has a tendancy to warp. The heat build up between the storm door and entry door can get quite substantial and cause the door to warp. Especially if it is a fiberglass door. If it has a screen, it should be left slightly open to allow the heat to escape. If not, one thing that can help is painting it a light color unless it is LowE and the heat will actually increase. As for pre-hung vs slab, if I am installing a door for someone else, I always suggest a prehung as it is easier and cheaper to install and for the reasons stated earlier. If I were doing it for myself and cost of the door is more important, I may opt for the slab. One problem with slabs is that if the original unit was not installed correctly or the house has settled and significant planing was done to make it work properly again, the new slab will also need the same work done in order for it to work properly.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:56 PM   #7

amazing what you learn here!
didn't even consider heat build-up. that storm door never has it's screen exposed (the storm window is always down) and to boot, the storm door is BLACK! (that door also gets direct sun most of the day)
I'll definitely try letting the screen do it's thing when it gets hot,if I can get away without replacing the door,GREAT!

tnx,ken
Old 02-11-2009, 02:57 PM   #8
Custom Cabinet Maker

Analog: The truth of the matter is if you have a steel door that was properly installed, a storm door is NOT needed. The Only reason would be for the SCREEN part :}:} Pull the glass panels and put in the screens, as stated 98% sure your warping will go away.
Painted black is also not a good idea, absorbs too much heat, maybe Pink? LOL

Last edited by skymaster; 02-11-2009 at 02:58 PM. Reason: udder comment
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote