Exterior Door Out Of Square - Frost Heaving? - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2011, 07:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Exterior Door Out of Square - Frost Heaving?

Hi everbody-

I installed a new service door on my garage as my old was falling apart due to water collecting under the sill (I have some drainage issues with my driveway/garage). Anyway, I repalced the door this last fall, and put down a PT 1x4 underneather it to ensure the rot wouldn't return to the door.

Now that winter has hit, something has thrown the door way out of whack. the latch to the door is now about 1/2" off from where it should be (had the same issue with the old door), and the only way to even get the door closed is to throw a shoulder into it. My slab is busted up in to several pieces in the garage, and you can usually see that they have moved during the winter.

Aside from building a new garage, can anything be done to prevent the door from going out of square when these shifts happen, or am I just screwed?

Advertisement

ande3171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:33 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,272

You know this is going to be a problem---However----The PT lumber under the door sill was a mistake-

That stuff swells up a lot---Try this--Plastic deck boards,instead of the PT wood--

Keep an eye on the 'cull' rack at the depot for a damaged deck board--They are cheap there--

Pull the door--and reset it using the deck boards as your riser and lots of silicone--

The flexible riser might have enough give to counteract the frost heave--Maybe--Mike--

Advertisement

oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:42 AM   #3
A door a day is all I ask

Rewards Points: 75

Also try using an adjustable u shaped door shoe.
They have a certain amount of give even with no adjustment space.

If you trim a little more than necessary off the bottom of the door
you will be able to remove the small screws and slide it the shoe up or down a bit
to relieve pressure of close space as needed. Pemko makes a large selection
of profiles that should be easy to order from local quality hardware store (Might
be in stock).

The ones at the big boxes are generally stiffer and lower quality.

Remember to seal the bottom of your door.

TheDoorGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:50 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ande3171 View Post
Hi everbody-

I installed a new service door on my garage as my old was falling apart due to water collecting under the sill (I have some drainage issues with my driveway/garage). Anyway, I repalced the door this last fall, and put down a PT 1x4 underneather it to ensure the rot wouldn't return to the door.

Now that winter has hit, something has thrown the door way out of whack. the latch to the door is now about 1/2" off from where it should be (had the same issue with the old door), and the only way to even get the door closed is to throw a shoulder into it. My slab is busted up in to several pieces in the garage, and you can usually see that they have moved during the winter.

Aside from building a new garage, can anything be done to prevent the door from going out of square when these shifts happen, or am I just screwed?
On a door the gap around the perimeter is usually an 1/8". At a 1/2" latch offset, the door would never set into the frame unless the jambs weren't attached to the rough opening.
If the floor is that unstable, you need to isolate the area under the door frame. But you need to get the drainage issues squared away or the framing issues will remain.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:17 PM   #5
Stay-at-home GC

Rewards Points: 500

Is the slab beneath the sill on a poured monolithic footer or block with backfill?

If it is on a contiguous poured slab, add gravel drains in front of the area to divert water.

If it is on a block stem wall, and the slab in front of the door is already damaged, you could remove that section and put in a frostwall under the door, refill with tamped gravel.
CplDevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:21 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

I can't actually do much about it if it requires removing the door as we are well below the freezing point for the next 3-4 months (live in Minneapolis). But me being the way I am, I'll constantly think about this until it actually gets fixed.

This summer I also had replaced some footers around the garage to address some rot issues. I noticed today that there is a pretty good sized gap in the big garage door where there wasn't much of one before, and I'm thinking the wall may have shifted out slightly and contributed to this problem. Looks like one of the anchors went over a crack and I have a feeling that is getting pushed out or something.

I had no idea about PT swelling, but I will look for some decking or the u-shoe in the mean time.

Yes, the jambs were secured to the rough framing. I may have overexagerated on the shift. It might be closer to 1/4" (its enough that it doesn't line up anymore). And yes, I do plan to address the drainage issues soon, but it does require a new driveway and I'm still working on the 6K+ it requires.
ande3171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:17 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

This can be temporarily fixed so the door latches by adjusting a jamb side while the door is in place as long as you have space above the frame.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote