Exterior Door On A Level Patio - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-06-2010, 11:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

exterior door on a level patio

I have a rotting steel exterior door to replace. It rotted because there is no door sill and the patio is level to the bottom of the door. I plan to replace the door with a prehung steel door that has a door sill (theshold). I would like to know if I need to increase the height of the door entrance that is level with the pation or can I install the door an the sill will prevent wtare from entering into the house?

Advertisement

HChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 06:48 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

A standard size prehung door requires about 83+ inches of space. Pull off the trim moldings on the inside and measure from the floor to the header, that will give you your available space. For width, you need about 2" more than door width, ie: 36" needs 38".

Advertisement

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:37 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

First thing you should do is make sure the patio is sloped away from the house. If that's good, you can purchase sill material that will seal the sill against water and air. You can also make your own using aluminum flashing and/or flexible door and window flashing.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
HChu (10-07-2010)
Old 10-07-2010, 02:05 PM   #4

Thanks Ron,
The patio is slightly slanted away from the house. I will look into the material to seal the water and air out. Thanks again
Old 10-07-2010, 05:00 PM   #5
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by HChu View Post
Thanks Ron,
The patio is slightly slanted away from the house. I will look into the material to seal the water and air out. Thanks again
Why is the patio even with the bottom of your door? That means if you have floor joists, your floor joists are below grade. Even if you have a slab, the patio should be at least 6" minimum below your wall framing.

Did you do the patio, or was it like that when you bought the house?
Old 10-07-2010, 09:18 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,010

SECTION R317 PROTECTION OF WOOD AND WOOD BASED PRODUCTS AGAINST DECAY 2009 IRC

R317.1 Location required. Protection of wood and wood based products from decay shall be provided in the following locations by the use of naturally durable wood or wood that is preservative-treated in accordance with AWPA U1 for the species, product, preservative and end use. Preservatives shall be listed in Section 4 of AWPA U1. 5.

5. Wood siding, sheathing and wall framing on the exterior of a building having a clearance of less than 6 inches (152 mm) from the ground or less than 2 inches (51 mm) measured vertically from concrete steps, porch slabs, patio slabs, and similar horizontal surfaces exposed to the weather.

Gary
Old 10-08-2010, 09:50 AM   #7

Joe Craola,
The house was that way. The basement is on a slab. The patio is a concrete patio. I do not want to break the patio up and make it lower, I could raise the entrance of the door way by raise it 1 inch with cement but then I would have to either cut the door size down or raise the header of the entrance. This would be a task that I would like to avoid if I can. That is why I am asking if I could just but a door sill in to prevent water from coming in. Do you think it would work?

Advertisement