Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-14-2008, 12:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Extending pantry shelves

I am trying to complete some shelves in a pantry and am curious as to how I should "connect" the new shelves to the old. I was planning to attach 1x2 to the wall just under each new shelf for support so no problem there. The problem is how to attach the new shelving to the existing so that side of the new shelves is supported on the side near the existing shelves. I can't use dowels or biscuits since I can't dismantle the old shelves and there wouldn't be enough room to get the new shelving onto the dowels. I could put a piece of 1x or plywood at the joint between old and new shelving and attach both ends to this piece of wood (or metal tie plate). However, at least for the higher shelves, this "block (or metal)" would be seen and not very attractive so I was hoping someone had an idea for another way of doing this. Suggestions?
Thanks

info@homeworkbydave.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:59 AM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

Extending pantry shelves

Sorry, but I have more questions than answers. Pics would help.
What are the old shelves made of?
Are the old shelves easily removable?
Measurements?
Are your new shelves the same thickness as the old?
How are they currently supported?

If they are supported by wide brackets an easy solution would be to move your "seam" to center on a bracket and put in a couple screws from underneath.

Personally, I would take the old shelves out and use one piece to span the entire distance.

Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:33 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Extending pantry shelves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondesense View Post
Sorry, but I have more questions than answers. Pics would help.
What are the old shelves made of?
Are the old shelves easily removable?
Measurements?
Are your new shelves the same thickness as the old?
How are they currently supported?

If they are supported by wide brackets an easy solution would be to move your "seam" to center on a bracket and put in a couple screws from underneath.

Personally, I would take the old shelves out and use one piece to span the entire distance.
I agree with most of the above.

Larger shelves means more stuff. More stuff means more weight. Move weight makes me think structure.

There are all kinds of ways to connect boards together. Some simple and cheap and some expensive and complex.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:45 AM   #4
Green Builder

Rewards Points: 75

Extending pantry shelves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondesense View Post
Save yourself the time, agony and mediocre result.
chalk_hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:49 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Extending pantry shelves

Sorry for the delay in responding... busy. I think the existing shelves are made of "project panel" (Lowe's). Basically a pressboard of some type and not plywood. They are 3/4'" thick. The existing shelves would probably not be horribly difficult to remove but I think the homeowner would rather not go that route. At the rear of the shelves they rest on a pine ledger attached to the wall and is 3/4" thick. The front end is supported by vertical pieces that run from floor to top shelf. The ends of the existing shelves that I need to attach the new shelves to overlaps the vertical support by about 3 inches. Without dismantling the old shelves I don't see how to cut them halfway back into the vertical support where I could then attach the new shelf as well.
info@homeworkbydave.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:56 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Extending pantry shelves

Quote:
Originally Posted by info@homeworkbydave.com View Post
Sorry for the delay in responding... busy. I think the existing shelves are made of "project panel" (Lowe's). Basically a pressboard of some type and not plywood. They are 3/4'" thick. The existing shelves would probably not be horribly difficult to remove but I think the homeowner would rather not go that route. At the rear of the shelves they rest on a pine ledger attached to the wall and is 3/4" thick. The front end is supported by vertical pieces that run from floor to top shelf. The ends of the existing shelves that I need to attach the new shelves to overlaps the vertical support by about 3 inches. Without dismantling the old shelves I don't see how to cut them halfway back into the vertical support where I could then attach the new shelf as well.

Pressboard is not easy to work with. It flakes, breaks, chips and is not really conducive to working with other real wood.

But I am prejudice as I always have hated that stuff.

If you keep that particle board in there and just add more wood to extend the shelf there isn't much you can to do make a secure connection. I suppose you could just butt the new wood up the old stuff and make sure that it is secure in the front so the wood doesn't move forward and cause a separation in the back.

I suggest a support in the middle as particle board is not known for it's phenomenal strength.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:57 PM   #7
Green Builder

Rewards Points: 75

Extending pantry shelves

Quote:
Originally Posted by info@homeworkbydave.com View Post
The existing shelves would probably not be horribly difficult to remove but I think the homeowner would rather not go that route.
Imagine how unhappy the homeowner will be when the shelves are loaded up and your splice lets go.

Melamine coated particle board is a good middle ground. Relatively inexpensive, available in pre-edged widths or full sheets and rip your own. Tear the old stuff out, leave the wall cleats in place (to save a good chunk of time) and put new full width shelves in there. Everyone will be glad you did.

chalk_hill is offline   Reply With Quote