Exposed Rafter Ceiling In Extension Bedroom - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-22-2011, 01:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,038
Question

exposed rafter ceiling in extension bedroom

i estimate that the extension to my house, which has the kitchen on the 1st floor and portion of a bedroom on the 2nd floor, was built some time in the 30s, judging by the materials used. it was definitely not built with the house in 1909, which is what makes it an extension.

i am renovating the upstairs part and was thinking about making the rafters exposed and wanted to see what you all think, whether it's a good idea or not. the section is about 10'x11' and the evenly spaced 6 rafters run along the 10' side. the gradient is not much, maybe 12 deg max. i was thinking to first apply some insulation between the rafters (foam panels) and then post some interesting-looking tongue-n-groove decorative 1x4,5, maybe 6 fancy looking interior lumber to make it look kind of like a sauna or some scandinavian log house.

so i was wondering if that's a good idea and whether it is doable, have no experience doing such a thing considering it involves increased moisture exposure cause it's the other side of the roof.

pictures attached (left and right side).

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
exposed rafter ceiling in extension bedroom-exposed_rafters_1_x.jpg   exposed rafter ceiling in extension bedroom-exposed_rafters_2_x.jpg  

Advertisement

amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:34 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Hmmmm, no repies............??? There are ways to insulate so there is no moisture issue with the roof sheathing, but I would consult a local expert. There certainly is not much space to get the result you seek and still have an insulated room. And those pics raise some questions regarding the contruction.

Advertisement

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,022

Amareck: you dont' say where you live but insulating that space would likely be a challenge and have anything meaningful in the way of exposed rafters. Also have to consider ventilation of the roof sheathing. Hard to tell if your sheathing is wet in spots or just coloration? Personally, exposed 2x4s wouldn't be as visually interesting to me like a beefy 4 x6 or something.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:20 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,038

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob22 View Post
Amareck: you dont' say where you live but insulating that space would likely be a challenge and have anything meaningful in the way of exposed rafters.
somewhere mid-Atlantic between SC and NY...
Quote:
Hard to tell if your sheathing is wet in spots or just coloration?
coloration
Quote:
Personally, exposed 2x4s wouldn't be as visually interesting to me like a beefy 4 x6 or something.
the 2x4s are from the old ceiling that i demolished. i wanna take them down and leave the rafters, which are 2x6 and could be refinished

thanks
amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:54 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 750

Realistically you're going to need 6 inches of insulation at a minimum which wouldn't leave any of the rafters exposed anyway. You could certainly use spray closed excel form for the insulation and to solve the moisture problem but to get a reasonable R value it's still going to take the 6 inches.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:35 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Purely a personal choice, but since you asked, what's the point? It's not like there's an ascetic jewel you want to keep from being buried.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:50 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,010

You need a minimum of R-38, as said. This would probably require replacing the rafters with 2x10's depending on the span and local snow load.

There appear to be 3-pieces of built-up beam, then 5 more? Another picture would be helpful...

Gary

Advertisement