Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-13-2008, 06:35 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

eventual window replacement

I'm re-siding my house with 7-1/4 f/c lap siding over t1-11. I also need to replace two windows but cannot afford both and chose the siding over the windows because it's in bad shape on the weather side of the building and getting worse.
If I trim all the windows now with 1x4 pvc and eventually replace them later with size in kind I shouldn't have to remove any f/c siding right? Just the 1x4 trim?
What I'm trying to figure out is making sure I'll have the new window flashed right and I'm not sure I can do that without removing some of the f/c lap panels. If I do need to remove a few to do the window should I re-atttach them with scews or just bigger nails?

thanks

Icefishww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 12:07 PM   #2

The flexible membrane flashing im using on my new windows is 4" wide, so you should be ok if you use 4" wide trim. Id have to guess that the nailing fins on the windows im installing is roughly 1 1/2" -2" wide, so you could even trim some of that 4" flashing down if you had to. Be warned though, I ran into rot when doing my windows, see Window project that turned into a bit more and if you run into any rot then you would have to replace the window given that you would have to replace any surrounding rot. Just a heads up that took me by surprise. Kinda ironinc, I wanted to do only my windows and was forced into doing siding also, might be the opposite for you if rot is present.

creamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:05 PM   #3
Pro Slate Roofer

Just putting felt or other membranes around the opening won't help much. You need to flast the window too.

http://www.albertsroofing.com/Window%20Flashing.htm
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:15 AM   #4

Mostly I'm wondering about removing the fiber cement lap panels to replace the window and then re-installing them after I'm done. I don't know whether it's necessary to use screws or just nail the panels back on with longer nails. I havn't really read anything about guys having to remove and then re-install f/c lap siding.

tks
Icefishww is offline   Reply With Quote