Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-28-2014, 03:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Entryway door

Not sure what's this called but in need to replace it. It's a piece of wood under out side under the threshold. I think you can call it a riser or faceplate. Can someone give me some advise before I start.Entryway door-uploadfromtaptalk1403987501653.jpg

allinonetrade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:14 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 72

Entryway door

Kick plate. The Threshold is in bad shape also.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 80

Entryway door

Imposable to tell what it's made of in that picture.
I make mine out of PVC lumber, no painting, never any rot.
Looks like that threshold has about 50 years of paint and patching, instead of replacing, or least scraping all that old paint off, priming and painting.
That kick plate should never stick out beyond the threshold. Sure way to have water run in behind it and causing more issues.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:21 PM   #4

Entryway door

Thank you. Gonna try to replace the kickplate tomorrow. I think if a try to replace the threshold it will turn into a bigger project than what I'm prepared for right now.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:00 AM   #5
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 8

Entryway door

you want the piece you put in to be strong and to sit up tight to the underside of the metal, it helps support the metal when you walk over it and put your weight on it. if it sticks past the metal some use a heavy duty sealer like clear roof sealer that is paintable ( do not use silicone!). but like Joe emntioned it is best to not let the piece stick past the metal because water travels back in but it does need to come out at least to the edge to support it... cpvc works great there and I have even used treated 5/4- 5 1/2" deck boards ripped to fit. can dry out a few days and then get painted.

edit - be sure and seal real good against the concrete porch/patio also as water will travel under your house there without you knowing it.

Last edited by hand drive; 06-29-2014 at 08:02 AM.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 12:45 PM   #6

Entryway door

Seeing its outside and subject to the weather make sure you use treated timber so i wont rot.
OurBuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:03 AM   #7

Entryway door

Thank you for all your advise and suggestions. I cut out the oak sill. It was a little tougher than I thought. It was nailed to the jam. In the process of cutting the old piece out I cut the door bell wire. (DAM!!!). Replaced the toekick no problem. Used pressure treated lumber for entire job. Pitched the sill with shims. Spray foamed gaps and sealed with clear lexel. Replaced saddle with new adjustable one. I Will paint this weekend. Time including 2 trips to lumber yard and replacing doorbell wire 4.5 hoursEntryway door-uploadfromtaptalk1404450124675.jpg
The Following User Says Thank You to allinonetrade For This Useful Post:
hand drive (07-04-2014)
Old 07-04-2014, 08:02 AM   #8
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 8

Entryway door

that is a clean looking job- congrats! get a good quality sealer that is paintable and you are good to go

hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote