Entry Trim - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-23-2012, 08:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Entry Trim

I have a drywall entry way into my kitchen that I installed 1 x 6 ripped as a jamb and installed trim around the opening. When I installed the trim i put the trim flush with the jamb. It had about an 1/8" gap and when i filled it with caulk it still shows the seem. Now looking at other doorways i notice i should of set the trim about an 1/8" away from being flush so i could caulk the corner where the jamb and trim meet.

My question is could a rip a 1/4" piece of plywood and glue/nail to jamb to give me the corner to caulk and make it a smooth transition from the jamb to the trim? I can upload a picture tomorrow if needed. I wanted to rip it all down and start over, but my overuse of nails made that near impossible. Thanks for the help.

Advertisement

Jmpotter2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Entry Trim

easiest way is to pull the trim off, move it back from the edge about 3/16 and cut a new pieces. it will never look right trying to add a piece on. if you can take the jamb out and cut it smaller then your trim would work and you would have a reveal. the width would need to be 3/8 smaller and 3/16 lower in height.

Advertisement

DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 678

Entry Trim

You do know they sell jambs already the right width, rounded edges and a dado already in the head piece.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:03 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Entry Trim

I figured that was what would need to be done. I didn't want to remove the drywall and a standard door jamb would not fit due to the drywall. So i ripped 1 x 6 to the proper width and installed. They look good except for my mistake with the trim. I'll remove the trim and if I cause to much damage i'll just take it down to the studs and install standard jambs. Thanks for the info.
Jmpotter2004 is offline   Reply With Quote