Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-23-2008, 12:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Entry door help

Hello all new to the forums here. I am trying to fix my entry door. It is a 36 inch steel door that does not seal on the bottom corners, striker and hinge sides. it is mostly on the striker side of the door. I have replaced the door sweep and all of the weather stripping. How can i get the door to pull in closer to the weather stripping so i can get a good seal? If i push in the bottom corner it looks like it seals nicely.

Thanks for the help.

StuGotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:14 PM   #2
Licensed Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

Entry door help

Try resetting the strike plate, the metal thingy on the jamb that the bolt locks into. Unsrcew the strike plate, use golf Tees or toothpicks with glue and fill the two holes. When glue is dried, use a chisel and sandpaper to remove the Tees or toothpicks that are sticking out. Take the plate and tape it in the approx. location (2 pieces of tape, one top one bottom) Close the door, and push it to where you are satisfied. Push the plate until it is in contact with the bolt. Twist the handle and open the door. Screw the plate in place.
You might have to adjust the plate mortise to get it to where the plate can move to where you want it. A chisel and a few whacks with a mallet/hammer will get the job done.
Or, buy/install a new prehung unit.

Renovator,LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:05 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Entry door help

Did you use the type of weatherstrip that is attached on the door stop area on the jambs ? If you did,when you replaced the weatherstripping ,did you install it with the door closed and was the weatherstrip wide enough so that you could adjust it to touch the door all the way around ? Also, does the new sweep have any curved piece(some do) that could be trimmed back a little on each end, to allow this type of weatherstrip to touch door at bottom ?
Handyman Jim Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:36 AM   #4
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

Entry door help

You stated that you replaced all the weather striping. was the weatherstripping magnetic? or foam neoprene. And did this happen before you changed the weatherstripping. when your changing the neoprene weatherstripping there is a hinged side and a strike side strike side and the top are the same, the hinged side is different.
Also could the door of been pushed out of plumb. I have seen this where the box store installers use these pas lode trim nailers to secure the side jambs to the jack studs and when you slam the door ,the door shifts out of plumb. because the nails are not strong enough to support this type of install. 10p or 16P finish nails. Hope this help BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote