Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-18-2013, 07:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Entry door?

I am going to replace the door from my garage to the outside due to the door itself rusting, on the bottom and the wooden frame rotting at the base. I am planning to use a fiberglass door with composite frame for the replacement. I have done the measurements and the door is 32x80 and 4 1/2 inches depth with standard cut out opening. I am trying to decide whether to order with brick molding or without. I am thinking with the brick molding and I think it will just go right in. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Earl

retfr8flyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #2

Entry door?

what is on the old door? what time of siding do you have? pictures!

princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:22 PM   #3

Entry door?

The current door is a standard steel entrance door and I think it is one with brick molding but I can't tell for sure. Th house is brick and the opening is cut the 34 3/4 inch width of the door frame. The brick side just matches the extra width and height for the molding. I can get some pics tomorrow. I can either get the door with the brick molding or get one without and trim it with PVC molding.

Earl
Old 03-18-2013, 08:24 PM   #4

Entry door?

Brick mold should work just fine if the BM is the same width with the same relief.
rckkrgrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:53 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 6

Entry door?

I'd get a flat jamb and use PVC brick moulding.
Also make sure the part that hangs out on the outside at the threshold is fully supported.
A piece of 1X vinyl work great. Just use Tap Cons to attach it.
With no support those cheap threshold bend and crack the seals on the outside edges.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
oldhouseguy (03-19-2013)
Old 03-18-2013, 09:11 PM   #6

Entry door?

Thanks guys. I will do some more checking before I order.

Earl
Old 03-18-2013, 11:01 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 24

Entry door?

This is the company that Menard's Hardware sells for their door line http://www.midwestmanufacturing.com/...=0&Doors=Doors We just put one in about five months ago, no signs of weathering. They come powder coated from the factory, and are very durable. They offer three different types of thresh holds for their doors.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #8
AHH, SPANS!!!

Entry door?

ask for a rot free door jamb with the door unit, the wood that comes with door jambs starts soaking up moisture pretty much right away once installed and can/will lead to rot within one year and eventual framing damage if left unchecked. best to get the rot free and be worry free. if your house is within 10 to 15 years old just get the brickmold with the unit and if you have to you can shave the edges to fit if to tight or add pvc quarter round or similar to the edges if to loose ( within 1/4" tolerances), pvc trim covers gap between brick and brickmoulding. a lot of doors I put in it is cheaper to get the brickmold on the door unit mostly because it is standrad size and they have them piled up ready to sell and I'll pull it off the factory molding and install pvc brick mold in place of it ...
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:58 AM   #9

Entry door?

Thanks for the tips. I intend to get the rot free composite door framing and the Fiberglass door to prevent the rotting that has occured to the current door. The way this door sits it just wicks moisture up into the molding and I haven't been able to stop it, so I am replacing the whole door. I want to order the door with the brickmold and I am almost positive it will fit. If it doesn't, like you said, I will just make it fit.

Earl