Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-16-2008, 11:08 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Enlosing underneath the deck? Need suggestions and any help you can give.

Hello,

This is my first post so first off hello and thank you in advance for any advice you can offer.

The house I own is Ranch-style, therefore when walking out the basement sliding glass doors I am underneath the deck. We currently just have stones and a little walkway underneath. I am trying to put together a plan to enclose the underneath of it. Nothing too fancy I'm not trying to wire any outlets, lights, fans, or waterlines. I just want to put up some 2x4 framing, a little plywood over that, and then finish the windows with screening.

One problem I see immediately is rain. When it rains underneath the deck gets soaked. Does anyone know what I can do to solve this? I want to come up with a solution that will not cause water to sit and mold/rot the deck. Some sort of drainage or protection that will move the water out. Any ideas?

Also, since the base of the underneath at the moment is stones I was just thinking of pouring concrete over that. I'm assuming that is a fine enough base. Am I wrong in this assumption?

I need some help with these questions before I can proceed so hopefully someone can lend some advice.

Thank you very much,
Kevin

KoolAid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

There is a product that attaches to the underside of the deck and sheds water to the outer perimeter. For the life of me I can't think of the name of it. It is very expensive.

For less money you could frame some ceiling joists underneath the deck's floor joists, and run some 7/16" OSB over the top of them. Pitch the joists downward a little bit so they'll shed water. On top of the OSB use a membrane roof or some rolled roofing material (asphalt impregnated felt with little grains of rock in it). Actually plain old 30# felt could be laid out, overlapped, and sealed up nicely with some canned roof patch.
You could put gutters and a drip edge at the edge of the roof, and direct the downspouts away to mitigate the water problem.

If your current patio is just gravel, there's no reason you can't pour concrete right over it. If it were mine I'd want 4" of gravel under the slab.

As for the walls, you can frame them conventionally. BE SURE TO LEAVE ENOUGH ROOM FOR THE SLAB TO HEAVE IN COLD WEATHER, because it will take the walls upward with it. Not a big deal until it starts taking the deck that is above it too.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 06:48 AM   #3
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Try these for some ideas. I've never installed any, but have seen some. There are some issues that I've heard if you have trees shedding pine needles and leaves that get down into the roof system and clog things up. I have no personal experience to offer.

www.decksdownunder.com

http://www.diyhomecenter.com/underde...FRkyFQodpFFn-w

http://www.undercoversystems.com/
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:05 AM   #4
J Calvin Construction

Rewards Points: 150

There is the obvious "right" way to keep dry under your deck but those are probably not the answer you are looking for. As far as the roof under deck, it works nicely but if I was going to spend the money for that, I would shed/gable roof over the top deck and keep both of them dry.

I have a friend that bought some of that ondura roofing from lowes and hung it by strings under his deck and it also work nicely, only cheaper. He tied one end of it as close to the deck as he could get it and let the other end down some. After that he used sheet metal screws and screwed the pieces together where they overlap to keep them from rattling.

You hired WHO?
jcalvin is offline   Reply With Quote