Engineered Wood-white Risers - Nosing Tounge - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-20-2009, 10:33 AM   #1
Serious Do It Myselfer

Rewards Points: 25

Engineered wood-white risers - nosing tounge

I am getting ready to install glue-down engineered maple flooring on my new stairs and need a bit of advice:

I have purchased the nosing for each step which has a groove on the backside. I would like to install the boards parallel to the run (lots of short boards). Should I make a tounge in the end of each board to insert into the groove in the nosing? I will lay my first board in the center of each step so the width of the last left and right board will be the same.

I would also like to use 1/4" or 1/2" white melmine for the risers (glue on) if I can find it. It would be easy to clean scuff marks and be pretty durable I think. I would install the risers over the top of the boards on the steps to cover the expansion gap.

Speaking of expansion gap, I'd like to fit the boards tight to the sides of each step (trim would look terrible) - will this be a problem? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you

Advertisement

Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote