DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Engineered Truss Design and Cost

8K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  RemodelMan 
#1 ·
Hello,

I need some help on design and cost estimating on trusses for a workshop.

I plan to build a 30' x 40' shop with the trusses spanning the 30' on 24" centers and a 1' overhang from the walls. There would need to be three types of trusses. End trusses, Overhead storage trusses (8' each end), and scissor trusses for the center 24'. How can I figure out the design of these? Anyone have a guess on the cost delivered on the walls?

Thanks for the inputs, Keith

#2 ·
The simple answer is do it like we do, call the lumber yard or a truss manufacturer and tall them what you want, and where you are, and they will quote them for you. There are a lot of considerations with truss design...live load, dead load, attic storage and loading, etc, etc.....

#4 ·
Consider an engineer

You might also want to hire an engineer if your plans are outside of the ordinary design formulas. A competent engineer will also make suggestions as to how you can refigure your plans to save $, increaese headroom or spans by substituting materials and or dimensions of beams, trusses, footings etc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.