DVD For Crown Molding - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-11-2009, 02:47 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

DVD for Crown Molding

Do any on you have any thoughts on whether Gary Katz's DVDs on Conquering Crown Molding is worth the price of $50. I am a newbie who has done one room using Wayne Drake's book I got at HD, "Crown Molding & Trim. Install It Like A Pro." This is my DYI project and I doubt if anything will teach me to install it like a pro, but I am ready to fork out the $50 if the DVD is a pretty good teaching tool. Is anyone familiar with it? TIA

Advertisement

Klawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 05:56 AM   #2
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,066

DVD for Crown Molding

Klaw, Based on the reputation of the source I recommend Gary Katz's DVD

I have attended a half dozen of Gary's seminars since 2002 and he is the Master

The next most popular competing Crown DVD sells for $58

scroll down to see the review on this page:
http://www.amazon.com/Conquering-Cro...273991-3136502

Advertisement

PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:44 AM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,180

DVD for Crown Molding

I second what PALIBOB says. He is not only a master craftsman but a fine teacher.

Last edited by oh'mike; 11-11-2009 at 06:45 AM. Reason: I can't spell
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:11 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

DVD for Crown Molding

I have not see the DVD, but based on my contact with Gary I would not hesitate to buy it. He is very knowledgeable a great teacher and he takes his craft very seriously.

Time to Get Up Out of Your Chair and Do it Yourself! ArmchairDIY.com
ArmchairDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:02 PM   #5

DVD for Crown Molding

I am going for it based on what you guys say and some snippets of Katz's videos I found on the net. http://www.nme.com/video/id/EkPUp42o...ch/Gary%20Katz

Another excerpted from Gary Katz's DVD, "Mastering the Miter Saw: Part 1." http://www.finewoodworking.com/ToolG...e.aspx?id=5250

I saw another clip somewhere that I couldn't readily locate. It interested me because Katz was using a straight 16 gauge nailer to hang crown and I am trying to decide if I should get an angeled 15. So far, I used a claw hammer and nails.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:46 PM   #6

DVD for Crown Molding

What are the pros and cons of cutting in position vs flat. I think somewhere I heard that pros pefer cutting crown nested vertically (in position) but then somewhere else that is left for beginners, as they aren't required to set the bevel of the blade, and pros are supposed to prefer cutting on the flat, since it is more accurate.

Last edited by Klawman; 11-11-2009 at 11:47 PM. Reason: correct spelling
Old 11-12-2009, 07:30 AM   #7
Tool Geek

DVD for Crown Molding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klawman View Post
........ and pros are supposed to prefer cutting on the flat, since it is more accurate.
No No No This is a popular misconception. However if the Crown is too high to cut in position, then cutting on the flat may be the only option.

I wish I could find a pic of Gary's solution to cut 18" Fypon (Urethane Architectural Crown). He built a large U shaped plywood miter box to hold the Fypon crown in position while he cut it with a handsaw using slots cut in the plywood. If anybody can find that pic please post it. The set up looked like one of those magic show props where the girl gets cut in half.

Reasons why cutting on the flat is less accurate:

1. Miter saw bevel gauges are not precise
  2. Bevel settings assume corners are all 90
  3. Spring angle can vary

Quote:
excerpt from Gary on WW:
Opinions vary, but after installing crown for more than 25 years I found cutting on the flat is always harder and less accurate, especially if the spring angle of the crown isn't 38 or 45, which it often isn't. I frequently install one pattern that's 33 degrees. And, as Contributor L says, if the corner angles aren't 90 degrees, which they rarely are, all your cuts will be off.

Last edited by PaliBob; 11-12-2009 at 07:50 AM. Reason: sp
Old 11-12-2009, 01:52 PM   #8

DVD for Crown Molding

Thanks, Bob.

I did notice that Katz is cutting crown on the vertical in a couple of clips available on line, http://www.finewoodworking.com/ToolGuide/ToolGuideArticle.aspx?id=5250 though various other online sources say that vertical is easiest and best for beginners, since they don't have to mess with setting a bevel, as long as the height of their saw's fence can handle the size of the molding, but flat will give you a more precise cut.

Supposedly the reason cutting flat is that the molding can be held in place and it is easier to allow it to move slightly when held vertically.

One of the trailers available online from Katz a simple way to make a crown stop by simply clamping a piece of scrap to the table. While the first and only room I have cut to date was done on the flat, I am going to experiment with vertical using Gary's technique.

The point you made about spring angle varying makes sense if the bevel angle is based on a uniform spring agile.

As I don't have a stand and was going to build something, and wasn't sure if I was going to include extension wings or how firmly they would attach, I think I will design it so a jig (piece of scrap) can be clamped on to use as crown stop. Gary's technique looks much better than using DeWalt's crown stops.

On another note, is a 16 gauge nailer adequate for larger UMDF crown or is it a much better idea to go with a 15, setting aside the fact that most 16s are straight nailers? Thanks.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:59 PM   #9

DVD for Crown Molding

Just ordered the Conquering Crown Molding DVD set from an outfit called Hartville Tool of Akron, OH, for $29.94 plus shipping of $7.95
Old 11-13-2009, 02:12 AM   #10

DVD for Crown Molding

While looking for something else, I came across a rather detailed comment by Gary Katz on cutting in postion v. on the flat. It can be found at http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas..._Moulding.html . You are correct that he now prefers to cut it in position.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:55 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 75

DVD for Crown Molding

I bought a book from WWW.COMPOUNDMITER.COM and never looked back. The book taugt me how to use my saw. It contains complete tables for any inside or outside corner. Also talks about how to measure a corner and adjust your saw for a perfect fit.
NASCAR9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:19 PM   #12

DVD for Crown Molding

That is Wayne Drake's book and that is where I started. BTW, Wayne has been very helpful in responding to my emails. The one rook I have done so far with it is beutiful. Still, I want to see Katz's DVD. Reading how to do it is one thing and Wayne's book is excellent, but I want to see it done and there is often more than one way to skin a cat.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:55 AM   #13

DVD for Crown Molding

I only got it the day before yesterday and couldn't find time to really look at it until last night. It is so good that I won't even attempt to describe all the things I like about it, less I leave some out as there are so many. There is one caveat, it may be too advanced if you have no experience with Crown Molding. I have just a little and will find out how well I can apply what Gary explains and demonstrates so well.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:14 AM   #14
Tool Geek

DVD for Crown Molding

Klaw, Congratulations
The only thing better than than a Gary Katz DVD is if you can see Gary in person at a seminar.

For those not familiar with Gary Katz, here is a Link:
http://www.garymkatz.com/

Gary's free online magazine, This is Carpentry can be subscribed on his Site.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:28 AM   #15

DVD for Crown Molding

I see you are another night owl. I already decided to email Gary and ask to be notified he is next doing a show in So Cal. I see you are in PV. I am in South Orange County. Perhaps we can get a cup of coffee at one of Gary's shows. You also gave me some tips on choosing a nailer. Thanks. Gary's DVD even covers nailing. Just his tips on nailing and the proper use of different glues will save me a lot of work.

Advertisement

Tags
cown molding , dvd