***drywall Permit?*** - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-18-2010, 12:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

***drywall permit?***

Quick, simple question:
I need to redrywall my old attic and i was wondering, do i need to get a permit for it?
no one besides close friends and family ever go up there, so no one would really know, and in no way will i be selling the house ever.
Thanks
Bill

Advertisement

Bgm94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:46 AM   #2
Chicago, IL

Rewards Points: 500

***drywall permit?***

You would have to check with your AHJ to be certain, but if you are just replacing drywall, and doing nothing else, you would not need a permit in most communities in my area.

Of course, once you start opening drywall in older homes, you often fine code violations (even of the code at the time of the original dry walling), especially electrical problems.

Advertisement

Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:54 AM   #3

***drywall permit?***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
You would have to check with your AHJ to be certain, but if you are just replacing drywall, and doing nothing else, you would not need a permit in most communities in my area.

Of course, once you start opening drywall in older homes, you often fine code violations (even of the code at the time of the original dry walling), especially electrical problems.
Thanks for the quick response! my house is 100 years and change old so i kind of figured i'd run into some of those violations but im not going to deal with them. what was there, will stay there, which is good enough for me
Old 11-18-2010, 07:13 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

***drywall permit?***

There are no code violations in 100 yr old houses. There may be problems that do meet existing code, but they were not violations at the time of construction.

As for permits, some localities require a permit to change your mind, others are more forgiving. As suggested, check your local authority.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:20 AM   #5

***drywall permit?***

When I inquired about an electrical job I was doing, I told the permits department I had removed drywall in my garage and was in the process of replacing it. I was told I needed a building permit to do this. I understood having a building permit along with an electrical permit, but they told me I needed one to hang drywall. When I had my electrical work inspected I told the inspector this and he chuckled. He basically told me to there wasn't a requirement to have a permit to hang drywall.
Spongebob3871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:04 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

***drywall permit?***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongebob3871 View Post
When I inquired about an electrical job I was doing, I told the permits department I had removed drywall in my garage and was in the process of replacing it. I was told I needed a building permit to do this. I understood having a building permit along with an electrical permit, but they told me I needed one to hang drywall. When I had my electrical work inspected I told the inspector this and he chuckled. He basically told me to there wasn't a requirement to have a permit to hang drywall.
Garage drywall is another animal from attic drywall. It needs to be firecode and taped and compounded. I can easily see a permit being needed so some numb nuts doesn't put up 3/8" because of price and weight.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:18 PM   #7

***drywall permit?***

I agree with you there! I am using 5/8" Firecode sheetrock. And this was for the exterior walls. The only caveat that the inspector made was if it was for the ceiling of the garage and if there was a habitable room above it. He said there was no stipulation in the code for the exterior walls, only for the ceiling and the firewall between the garage and the house. KCMO is using IRC 2006.
Spongebob3871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:07 PM   #8
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,034

***drywall permit?***

With the age of the house, another consideration is asbestos and or lead paint issues that could be harmful to your health.....
Old 11-19-2010, 10:17 PM   #9

***drywall permit?***

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbatlanta View Post
With the age of the house, another consideration is asbestos and or lead paint issues that could be harmful to your health.....
The attic was never insulated, so i will be doing that myself also, and it was never painted either, just wallpapered. The age is i think 108 give or take.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:59 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 250

***drywall permit?***

If there are any electrical issues, I would take care of them before you finish the drywall, as it will be much easier than cutting into it later--depending on how easy it is to fish wired down your walls. Also make sure you are adding insulation. There's a tax credit until the end of the year for that--

http://www.energystar.gov/
Allison1888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:40 AM   #11

***drywall permit?***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison1888 View Post
If there are any electrical issues, I would take care of them before you finish the drywall, as it will be much easier than cutting into it later--depending on how easy it is to fish wired down your walls. Also make sure you are adding insulation. There's a tax credit until the end of the year for that--

http://www.energystar.gov/
Thanks! Yeah i'm going to bring an electrician in before i put up the new stuff to inspect it. And yeah i am definitely going to add insulation. It will most likely be my new room, and during the winter its 30 degrees and in the summer its 90+ haha.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:16 AM   #12
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

***drywall permit?***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgm94 View Post
I need to redrywall my old attic and i was wondering, do i need to get a permit for it?
no one besides close friends and family ever go up there, so no one would really know, and in no way will i be selling the house ever.

Yeah i'm going to bring an electrician in before i put up the new stuff to inspect it. And yeah i am definitely going to add insulation. It will most likely be my new room, and during the winter its 30 degrees and in the summer its 90+ haha.
You do need a permit because your finishing your attic and making it a room/living space. You have to have the joists/electrical and everything else inspected.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:14 AM   #13

Smile

***drywall permit?***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carola View Post
You do need a permit because your finishing your attic and making it a room/living space. You have to have the joists/electrical and everything else inspected.
Haha, at the beginning of this post, i was told "most likely not", but as more info was gathered, it looks like a definite "yes". thanks everybody. I will try to start this project asap and maybe post some before and after pictures.
Thanks again!
Bill
Old 11-20-2010, 09:29 AM   #14
Chicago, IL

Rewards Points: 500

***drywall permit?***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
There are no code violations in 100 yr old houses. There may be problems that do meet existing code, but they were not violations at the time of construction.
Uh.... for starters, anything that was done wrong at the time of installation is a "code violation" even under the code in effect at the time - and as someone who has rehabbed older homes, and inspects many every year, I can assure you that such mistakes were frequent, and frequently discovered when finish materials are removed.
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 11:25 AM   #15
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

***drywall permit?***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgm94 View Post
Haha, at the beginning of this post, i was told "most likely not", but as more info was gathered, it looks like a definite "yes". thanks everybody. I will try to start this project asap and maybe post some before and after pictures.
Thanks again!
Bill
Are you planning on getting permits/inspections?

Advertisement

Tags
drywall permit