Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-14-2009, 03:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Drove the car through the wall! HELP!

We currently rent our house, and the other day my dear husband backed the car through the garage wall into our closet! What a great way to wake up!!! Anyways, to an untrained person the damage doesn't look too terrible and we would like to fix it ourselves if possible. Here's a few pictures of the damage. None of the stud boards are broken, only cracked slightly or bent. They are however, detached from the board at the bottom that they are all nailed to. The closet wall is moved in probably a good six inches or so. Any pointers, tips, or step by step how to's would be awesome!! Thanks in advance!!!

Here's a few pictures of the damage. I can probably get some better ones if these arent good enough!
Attached Images

belzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 04:00 PM   #2

If the studs are cracked, they are broken. You need to remove the drywall from both sides of the wall to assess the complete damage. Then you need to ensure the bottom sill plate did not move. Then you need to replace all of the studs that broken. This is most likely a load bearing wall so either replace one stud at a time of set up a a temporary support. Tell your landlord! I wouldn't try to cover this up.

Last edited by jerryh3; 11-14-2009 at 04:04 PM.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 04:01 PM   #3
Home Remodeler

You cannot do repair work without the permission of the owner. Need to talk with them. Accidents happen.
mikey48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:19 PM   #4

The back wall of a garage is nearly always a load-bearing wall. There is obviously some serious damage to that wall but it can likely be re-framed and re-rocked fairly easily by a competent carpenter. If the studs are cracked or broken they must be replaced (not repaired). Furthermore, the garage sheetrock is a fire separation membrane that must be properly repaired.

This is what car insurance is for. Time to file a claim.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
The back wall of a garage is nearly always a load-bearing wall. There is obviously some serious damage to that wall but it can likely be re-framed and re-rocked fairly easily by a competent carpenter. If the studs are cracked or broken they must be replaced (not repaired). Furthermore, the garage sheetrock is a fire separation membrane that must be properly repaired.

This is what car insurance is for. Time to file a claim.
yes, i would tell the landlord
my dad is a landlord, he would want to be told

if for some reason you dont have insurane, I guess he could use his home owners insurance

one house that he has, the couple moved in and moved there stuff and went to the electric company, had the lights turned on and they had a plastic container or toy in front of a wall heater, well, by the time the renters got home the house was on fire, there was a lot of smoke damage, got new walls and new kitchen cabinets and the floors were redone

my dads words were accidents happen that is what insurance is for
i guess the renters got scared and moved there stuff out,
took dad a few weeks to run them down to give them there rent and deposit back, he was not mad
RJA00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:25 PM   #6

All the above advice is very good and you should definitely contact your insurance agent, but your auto policy may not cover this, depending on the law of the state where you live and/or the law of the state where the policy was issued and the specific language of your policy. Some auto policies exclude liability for damage to property rented to the insured. Such an exclusion is only valid if your state permits it included in the language of the policy. Insurance companies are notorious for including exclusionary language that they know is null under state law, as many never challenge the validity of the exclusion.

Last edited by Klawman; 11-17-2009 at 02:19 AM.
Klawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:28 PM   #7
Household Handyman

I'm certainly sorry this has happened to you. I remember lot's, or was it LOT'S, of things I didn't want to tell my Dad, but this was not one of them. Being straight up with him is the first thing to do. IF he feels that he and/or you are competent to handle this job, then maybe together it can be done. Personally, I would look into having an experienced carpenter handle this as I'm certain it is a load-bearing wall. Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:00 PM   #8

"Anyways, to an untrained person the damage doesn't look too terrible and we would like to fix it ourselves if possible." ------ 99% of garage/house walls at the back of the garage are load bearing. This is because the house stops there and the garage begins. So the floor joists above load there. DO NOT do this work yourself, please! Fess up......
Be safe, Gary
Old 11-17-2009, 08:22 AM   #9
Learning by Doing

CRAP - that's a hell of an oops. But, you have mine and everyone else's encouragement to drop a dime (isn't that a quaint saying these days?) to the landlord.

Yes, it will be an uncomfortable call to make. But do it today, and you'll feel way better. Better yet, make Dear Husband make the call (assuming he won't procrastinate on it).

You can make things easier for your landlord if you start clearing your things out of the closet and making sure you have a clear path to the damage in the garage and in the bedroom.

Be nice to DH, don't rub it in his face... NOW. That's a hell of a cherry to keep in reserve for future marital disputes.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:55 AM   #10

Nothing has been said about whether there is plumbing, water, or electrical running through that wall. If so, that may make it more difficult for a non-pro to repair. Is there also the possibility, probably unlikely but possible, that copper pipes may have been stressed. If stressed at a joint is there a potential for a leak to open up with the resultant water damage? Call your landlord without delay and get the problem assessed to avoid additional problems. If I was the landlord, I would tear out that broken drywall and get a good look at things without delay. Is this a single story builidng?
Old 11-18-2009, 08:14 AM   #11
Learning by Doing

This is one of those times I REALLY WISH the OP would come back... instead of just trying to fix it themselves and hiding it from their landlord.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:55 AM   #12

Not at all a good idea to conceal this from the land lord, who is the one that likely has insurance covering this and will only expect the tenant to cover the deductible - if the tenant is candid and prompt in reporting it.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:34 AM   #13

I'm a small time landlord cause I rent out my previous house. If a rentor didn't tell me about damage this significant and tried to fix it himself I'd be real upset - not about the accident but about the coverup which is a lack of respect for my property rights and that it might have been improperly done.

So call the landlord and your car insurance company. The deductible won't be any worse than the cost to diy and you'll sleep well knowing you handled it with integrity.

jogr is offline   Reply With Quote