Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2012, 08:18 PM   #1

Share |

Drop leaf workbench.

Hello.

So I am currently in the process of redoing my garage for a nice organized storage of sports equipment and tools, and still be able to park my car in when needed (Matchbox garage).

I was thinking in putting some sort of foldable workbench to help when I am working on my projects (crown molding, tiling, hanging doors, etc).

This workbench would be my dream come true, except that its too much to spend on a workbench for my current budget.
http://www.benchsolution.com/
I came across this while searching the web for ideas and I was wondering if it would be able to take the weight of a saw and such when I am working on things ? or are there any other designs you guys suggest that I could either buy the hinges for or build relatively inexpensively.

FYI. The Ikea table is no longer available and I was thinking of that design but with two of those "legs".
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/pr...572/#/30062572

Imessano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:52 AM   #2
Tool Geek

Drop leaf workbench.

One of these might help if you use a piece of plywood as the work surface.
http://www.thehardwarehut.com/shelfbrackets_folding.php cost opti

Another option would be folding workbench that could be stored almost flat on hooks in the garage wall.
This could also be used to support doors on edge for planning or for hinge installation.
http://www.harborfreight.com/folding...egs-47844.html

PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:03 AM   #3

Drop leaf workbench.

Thanks PaliBob I did not think of the option of a folding bench that I could just hang on the wall. That is definitely an option worth exploring. Now for the hinge you posted. Are you talking about the drop leaf hinge or the shelf hinges ? They both seem like they could work but the shelf brackets are a little pricey.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:17 AM   #4
Tool Geek

Drop leaf workbench.

Right, I would not use the shelf brackets in my garage.
I have one of the HF foldaway benches and it has a very fast setup and is easily carried to different rooms for home projects.
I found it to be much stronger than it looks in the ad.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:47 AM   #5

Drop leaf workbench.

Sorry I must admit I am a green horn to most of these things. I am 23 and just purchased my first home last summer so I am learning project by project how to do most things. I have done my bathroom, some drywall and custom closet doors, and part of the garage now. That particular table, do you put at top on it to use as a work bench ? I am not sure I understand how it works.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:15 AM   #6
Tool Geek

Drop leaf workbench.

The HF Folding Workbench is designed to be used as shown in the pic as a general purpose bench. The top is split where one side is fixed and the other side is movable by the two hand cranks which are used with or without the four removable pegs to hold the object being worked on.
http://www.harborfreight.com/folding...html?hftref=cj
Old 03-27-2012, 04:24 AM   #7
Tool Geek

Drop leaf workbench.

The HF Workbench got its inspiration from this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-W.../dp/B0000224R9

To get an idea on how it is used click on the Amazon pics

This type of split top portable Workbench can be used for many applications:
Attached Images

Last edited by PaliBob; 03-27-2012 at 04:48 AM.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:48 AM   #8
EIT/DIY'er

Drop leaf workbench.

My father has a very sturdy folding workbench in his garage. Its simply an old solid core door with the hinges attached to the studs/blocking.

To store, it folds down. To use, he swings it up, and places a 2x4 post in each corner. The posts have a piece of 1/2" round bar in them, which fit into a hole in the door.

The posts prevent the door from swinging downward, the hinges provide lateral stability, and the hinges/studs hit the door edge preventing uplift.

He's got a vice mounted on it, and you can reef on it all day without moving the bench a bit. Its been there for at least 30 years.

Its on my long to do list for my garage.
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #9

Drop leaf workbench.

PaliBob that bench sounds great specially if I need to bring it upstairs for something. Thank you.

Lattimer your dads bench is what I was thinking about doing but with just a piece of wood or a piece of butcher block. Except that I am afraid of someone kicking the legs out if they are not properly secured.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:48 PM   #10
In a little over my head

Drop leaf workbench.

If you use a solid core door or other slab of wood, and hinge it up, rather than down, you can install a cleat on the wall to support the back edge when it's in use. Hinge your legs on the front to fold down when the bench is folded up. The problem is that it'll be heavy to fold up, and you'll need something to keep it folded.

If you let it hinge down, it'll be easier to fold, but the weight is on the hinges. You could hinge the legs towards the middle and install a stretcher when they are deployed. Put one or two legs on the back to take the weight off the hinges when in use.

The Black and Decker Workmate is one of the best tools I own. I use it on almost every job, if not as a workbench, then as a temporary stand for my miter box, table saw, router table, etc.
ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:42 PM   #11

Drop leaf workbench.

Here is a review that might be of interest...

http://toolguyd.com/rockwell-jawhors...master-review/

Also, Festool makes a Multi-function work table that looks really nice, 'tho I haven't used one yet. But, as with all things Festool, they are on the expensive side of things.

7echo is offline   Reply With Quote