Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-23-2013, 11:34 AM   #1

Share |

Drilling to outside

Hi all. Looking to add a bathroom vent in my basement bath project.

Have 4" pipe that will vent to outside. Have 4 1/4" hole saw. As you can see from the picture, with the hole saw up against the subfloor above, I would need to drill a little bit through the top of the rim joist.

Is this OK to go ahead and do? a 4" hole saw would maybe make it without drilling the rim joist, but I'm not sure if the 4" venting pipe would fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Drilling to outside-photo-drill.jpg  

benleef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:50 AM   #2

Drilling to outside

Go ahead with the 4-1/4" plan. That knot just below your thumb has already jeopardized structural integrity there so the small amount of material your hole saw removes won't make a bit of difference in that location.

Fairview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:05 PM   #3
Roofmaster

Drilling to outside

1. A rim joist is fully supported, so it is no problem.

2. You probably dont need a 3 or 4 inch pipe for a vent. 1-1/2 or 2 inch will usually suffice.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:15 PM   #4

Drilling to outside

I'd notch and chisel out enough of the sill so that the arbor bit bites real good on the rim joist. As it is- that saw will walk right down the sill.
I've seen a guy get about 40 stitches across his cheek trying something similar. Just saying......
jomama45 (04-23-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 08:05 PM   #5
Mod

Drilling to outside

I'd do it all with a Sawzall. Had my azz kicked to many times with those bits.

Beauty rings are a wonderful thing.

And...I wouldn't drill to the outside. Drill a center mark from the inside the go out (to the finish side) and cut it from there.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 04-23-2013 at 08:12 PM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:09 PM   #6

Drilling to outside

I think a few of the other posters are missing what it is your trying to do.
You need at least 4-1/4 for an exhost vent or the back side of the vent will not fit in the hole.
What type siding to you have?
It would be best if you could drill only far enough through that the pilot drill went through, and drill the rest of the way thorugh from the outside to it does not blow out the back side.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:36 PM   #7
Concrete & Masonry

Drilling to outside

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I think a few of the other posters are missing what it is your trying to do.
Now you know what it's like reading a large number of your own suggestions. I oftentimes wonder if you are posting in the right thread, or have even read the OP's question when reading your responses.........
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:33 AM   #8

Drilling to outside

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
It would be best if you could drill only far enough through that the pilot drill went through, and drill the rest of the way thorugh from the outside to it does not blow out the back side.
It looks to me like his pilot bit wont make it anywhere close to the outside before the hole saw grabs that joist and he breaks a few bones in his hand.
one cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:41 AM   #9
Architectural Sculptor

Drilling to outside

Quote:
Originally Posted by benleef View Post
Hi all. Looking to add a bathroom vent in my basement bath project.

Have 4" pipe that will vent to outside. Have 4 1/4" hole saw. As you can see from the picture, with the hole saw up against the subfloor above, I would need to drill a little bit through the top of the rim joist.

Is this OK to go ahead and do? a 4" hole saw would maybe make it without drilling the rim joist, but I'm not sure if the 4" venting pipe would fit.
It looks okay to me, the amount being cut from the joist is minimal, is there a reason that pipe has to go exactly there and not 1/4" further over to avoid cutting the joist entirely?
A 4" hole saw will not work for a 4" pipe since the 4" designation is inside "I.D." diameter, the external diameter is going to be about 4-1/4" or a little more depending on the pipe.

I don't like hole saws this size, I've used them but they have a severe tendency to very suddenly jam and when they do the drill is suddenly yanked in such a way that your trigger finger more often than not presses against the trigger harder in trying to stop the drill from spinning out of control.

At least use a heavy 1/2" drill with a handle on it if you can, so you can use BOTH hands, and go slow and steady.
I was using a 1/2" Milwaukee magnum drill at work with a large hole saw and a handle on it, the damn trigger on that is more of a lever about 3" long, so when you grab hold of the drill you are pressing the trigger, not a good deal.
The saw jammed and the drill tried to spin out of my hands but in the direction that was pushing the trigger lever against my hand, that sure hurt and probably came close to breaking my wrist.
RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:47 AM   #10

Drilling to outside

Joe C has it. Drill the pilot hole outwards from the inside and then drill the 4" hole inwards from the outside.

I like things VERY snug with minimal to no gaps. The 4" hole may not be big enough for the fan vent. I have a little grinding bit for the drill that I basically grind of a tiny tiny bit around the whole circumference of the hole until the pipe just fits. Caulk liberally and screw down from the outside. As this is in a tough to reach place, maybe have the ducting already fastened and slide through from the inside.

I have never ever had a problem drilling the hole. This is the 4" hole bit that has a pilot drill bit as a part of the assemble, correct?

B

Beepster is offline   Reply With Quote